El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I finally got the old cam and lifters out and got ready to put the new cam in. Old cam came out nice and easy. Took the new cam and lathered it in break in lube, and started to slowly slide it into the block. It went in smooth as can be until it was nearly all the way in, then it wouldnt go in anymore. It gets to a point where its sticking out about 1/4, wont slide in any farther, and wont spin freely. If I pull it out a bit it will spin fine.

What do I have to do to make it go in all the way? should I try tapping it lightly? more lube? I'm lost, because I didnt touch the bearings at all, and the old cam spun freely before I took it out.

NOTE: I pulled out the new cam and tried putting the old cam back in, but had the SAME problem I experienced with the new cam, in my mind that rules out the problem being the cam

·
Premium Member
5,965 Posts
Do you have the fuel pump off? If not . . . . make sure the rod is down.

·
Registered
578 Posts
New cam bearings?
Oil or cam bearing lubricant needs to be well distributed but not over done..there is a very small amount of clearance.
reach into the motor and ease the cam through...it must be totally straight to correctly get the cam installed...attaching the cam gear may help with handling the cam.
Once installed,rotate a few times then uninstall and look at the cam bearings.
Any rough spots should be scraped with a bearing scraper...you want the cam to turn super smoothly.
Always to a mock up before final assembly.
You want to find any errors and correct them now...not later.
Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
When doing a Cam on a SBC ,pull the distributor and the fuel pump,and let the fuel pump shaft droop down.you know the distributor is out how you going to pull the lifters with the intake on,
:texas:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres an update
Fuel pump is off, rod looks to be down (its below the hole the fuel pump backs into )
Distributor is off
All lifters are out
Crank, however, is still in
Im going to double check the fuel pump, but any other ideas?
So am I using too much lube?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
do you have the old Cam, slide that back in see if it will go ?
Check out the OP, I tried that and it had the same issue, still 1/4 inch sticking out and not able to turn if pushed in any more

And yes, crankshaft is still in

And the bearings for the camshaft are still the original bearings, however they only have 30,000 miles on them

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
pump rods not the problem,, old cam wont come out if the rods not down..:texas:

look on the back of the cam gear,, there is a step about a 1/8" iirc.
bolt the cam gear on,, and see if it touches the block?? if it does?? its in..

if your going with a double roller chain?? check it for clearance??

silly question
are the cams the same length?:dontknow:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are the same length
I'm at a loss for this one, especially since the old cam wont go in easily, and once i get it flush like it used to be (all the way in) it wont spin easily, it will spin eventually, but not easily. Eventually as in put the cam gear bolts in, and spin it using a pry bar between the bolts.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Is the motor still in the frame?? I would check for two things,, FOD,, Foriegn Object Damage,, nut bolt washer ect,,, take a strong flashlight and look down the cam jorunals,, look all the way back to the cam freeze plug,, did it shift?? (Assuming the motor is out,,) the next is a rare but it happens, spun cam bearing,, look to see that all 5 bearings look flush, square and look for damage,, I think this could be because you stated the old cam does not go in easy,, how did the cam come put?? Alot of force to get it out?? Or did it fall out with ease?? It is easy to "nick or damage" the soft cam bearings,, Did the cam drop at any time while you were taking it out?? Matty man

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Have you been lifting the far end up a little as you try sliding it? It needs to be held so it is level so it won't contact the bearing edges or bosses. Speed shops offer a long handle that bolts to the cam. This makes it esay for you to keep the far end up and level. Under no circumstances should you try forcing it. That might tear up the bearings.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts