El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 267 in my elky and i want the coppy idle. I havent replaced the cam before. Can someone help me with pictures or advise? Do you have to replace the cam bearings as well? Would the choppy idle be too much for the 267? thanks

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I think you can get a choppy idle a little easier by removing the #3 spark plug wire.. it worked on my 305.. :poke:I found that out all on my own! You're welcome..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not worth it upgrade to a 350c.i. and have more power under your hood.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not worth it upgrade to a 350c.i. and have more power under your hood.
Yep. I wouldn't install a performance camshaft in a 267. Save up for that 350/383/406. Meanwhile you can still improve the performance with a nice dual exhaust system with an X-pipe sized appropiately for the 350 & larger engine.

~JM~

·
Registered
74 Posts
You could always pull off a vacuum line & then crank the idle up. That should give you a rough idle. LOL.

~JM~

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I know that is not what you wanted to hear Jay, but adding a long duration camshaft to that engine is not a good idea. To answer your question though, in most cases you can replace a camshaft and not change the bearings. Obviously if you pull the cam and one of the bearing journals is all chewed up, that is a different story. If it has the original timing chain, figure on the timing set needing changed. Cam, lifters, gaskets, timing set, and labor. You have sunk a bunch of money into this engine that would be better spent on another engine, as mentioned.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Like others have said, it's not going to work out very well with that motor. You'll probably kill your low end torque anyway. I can add a couple more reasons. One, the lift on a high duration cam is going to be more. Two, with the higher lift you'd require stronger valve springs so you don't float valves at higher RPM's. Three, adding stronger springs requires that you pull the heads and have screw in rocker studs installed. If you don't install screw in studs you could possibly have a pressed in stud come out and cause damage to your motor. I'd forget that idea if I were you, sorry. :beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts