El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Driving myself nuts all day with this thing. I've already looked at Yeast1's thread about the MC SS steering wheel install. http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=33402&highlight=horn and the wheels are pretty much the same.
So instead of the insulated screws, I have the clear round plastic retainer from dixie.
I installed the pin, spring, and retaining collar in place of the original wire lead for the horn. Cut it to 3/4" as per inclosed directions. Installed domed spring with dome facing up.
Now here's where I'm lost. Does the retainer go in between the spring and the metal cup that the horn pad snaps onto? Or does the retainer mount inside the metal cup as it was mounted on the steering wheel when I received it?
Looking at the above mentioned thread, I'm not sure I even need the plastic that connects each plastic spacer for the screws. Looking at his, it would seem I could just remove each part for the screw and use it like his. Was told by someone that the plastic retainer mounts flat side down in between the spring and metal cup.
Does the cup need to be insulated from the spring? Or does the retainer mount under the spring to insulate the spring until the horn pad is depressed and then the outer edge of the spring makes contact with the horn pin? Or does it just mount inside the cup like it was shipped to me?
I've tried just about every combo I can think of and either the horn stays on or no horn at all.
I even tried making longer and shorter pins from machine screws.
Maybe I should just get one of those "Horn broke... watch for finger!" bumper stickers?:dontknow:

·
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK found a diagram on a camaro forum. It's the same as I tried at least 5X. Maybe my spring isn't strong enough? Or maybe the pin isn't the right length? I really can't see this as being so difficult. I guess more trial and error.

·
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gary
That was it! But what a PITA! Cut the original to 3/4 like the directions said. That was too long. Kept filing and filing and trying and trying until ...oops, too short! ARGGH!!! So made one from a small machine screw and now I have a horn!
thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts