El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in a coupla weeks, wifie and I are going to Forney to pick up a camper shell from a friend. Final arrangements haven't been made yet, but it will be in that time frame. All the seals/hardware are there, and he said he'd get help in getting it into place on the Elky. He/they also have an extremely nice '55 Chevy, and that's how I met them. Gonna hafta take the top, and probably the front, off the 'custom' storage area behind/below the rear window. That's where the spare, battery, tool box, and other things are located.

Just thought some might be interested.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey Beepster , what a small world :texas: ..... Forney is the same place where I'll be gettin my next Hot Rod Elky from , R-E-A-L S-O-O-N from a very nice guy ..... Thanks the Geezer

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
beepster if your deal falls thru i have a camper shell with moounting hardware ....
let me know thanks cheers

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woody, the probability of the deal fall thru is next to nil. The shell is free, with help to put it into place.

Hoss-Fly Ri-Chard, send me an email with the person you're getting the Elky from. My friend has a couple, but didn't/don't know he has either for sale. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, got the shell in place, and it didn't appear to have much, if any, wind drag on the way back. Took a lot less time than I thought it would take. We had a great time and dinner with our friends. Had a "good" trip back slinging/burning tranny fluid. Could see the white smoke coming from underneath, and stunk just like tranny fluid would. I have a loose connector (or one cross-threaded) on the fluid cooling line to raddy. Time for a shop visit, as I can't really get under, and to, the connector at home.:dontknow:

·
Registered
149 Posts
You're going to love the shell!!

I just put mine back on after taking it off for the first time in 25 years!! The shell was sold along with the Elko when new, even has a GM sticker on the glass ( but it was the Snug Top brand that GM used in 1987, I've seen the same top on other Elkos ). Easy to R & R. I took it off for Graffiti night here in Modesto, Ca., made the Elko look clean and original.

But, it's so damn handy for storage in daily use that I wanted it back on after the show. I have the factory heavy rubber mat and I cut a piece of carpet to cover the mat, that makes it easy to sleep inside without feeling the metal bed runners. Good luck, you're going to be happy with a shell!!!

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
I always thought this one was cool, but everyone else hated it!!:dontknow:

Thats why it's cool to be me, cause I don't care what others think!!!!:nanawrench:Donny

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Donny, iffin' ya sliced off the upper part w/windows straight back, that would look more like mine. It has the elongatedd side windows but not the vertical windows at the back. When I get to it, I'll take pics and put on my server site (Picturetrails).

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,616 Posts
Glad it worked out for ya Beepster!:nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glenn, with the price being what it was, I couldn't resist. About 60-bucks in gas is all. Now, my friend has a bad front/pass wheel well trim piece (SS), and I have a spare, so I'll just send it to him and make him REAL happy!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts