El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to switch over from points to electronic ignition today and thought I had my motor at TDC before I pulled my distributor out. Installed the pertronix ignitor in and couldn’t get it to fire. Reinstalled the points and just couldn’t get the distributor stabbed in close enough to tune it up. One time I was able to get it running as long as I kept it at 1500 rpm. And it sounded good but when I let off the gas it died out. Went to reinstall it and after trying settimes nothing. I’m getting spark and fuel. Nothing else was touched.
On my timing markings I have a 0° and then if facing the engine to the left it’s marked vertical TDC. Also some times when I set the distributor in it doesn’t go in all the way maybe 1/8 up. I know it’s the oil pump but how do I get it to set? What am I doing wrong. It’s a 350 abc and I’m just getting back into car motors after not playing with one in years. I can use some tips.
Thanks, this took up 8 hours of my day and I’m shot.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Remove #1 spark plug (drivers side front) have someone bump the starter while you have your finger loosely in the spark plug hole. When it comes up on compression it will blo your finger out. Now your on compression stroke. Line the timing marks up by finishing turning the engine by hand on the fan or with a 5/8 socket on the crank bolt.
See where the no. 1 wire is on the cap and make a mark on the distributor housing to a line with it.
Turn the rotor to that position and then counter clockwise about a half inch. Put the distributor in. it will rotate a little as it engages the cam gear.
If it doesn't drop all the way in crank the engine a little and it will drop on the oil pump shaft when they line up.
Should get you going. Then final set the timing.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Agreed on it not hitting the knotch on the oil pomp shaft.Make sure you apply downward pressure on the distributor, when cranking , gravity alone may not let it drop in on its own .
Just sayin', as I goofed up and had to do the procedure all over again before I finally got it right .

·
Registered
342 Posts
When I install a distributor by myself I get a flashlight and look down the distributor hole to see which way the notch in the oil pump rod is turned. I uses a big screwdriver to turn the shaft to match the distributor and drop it in.

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
how's it going Stephen ??
get her done ??
did you bypass the resistor wire for the Pertronics, I believe they need full 12volts to the coil ??
the resistor wire only runs like 6-9volts..
may want to check the TDC mark/pointer with the piston at TDC also,, sometimes they move...
nice Elky too
:texas:

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the delay. I went camping for a few days. I finally got it stabbed in but it seems to run well at rpm’s above 700. I’ve got the distributor turned all the way counter clockwise till my vacuum advance stops my turning.
Thanks all for the help. Tomorrow I’ll put a light on it and see where it’s at. She’s driveable. Just not perfect

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
If the advance is hitting the intake you are 1 tooth off to locate the housing right. If timing is OK then don't worry about it.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Not "correct" but you can pull one plug wire off dizzy and walk the rest around to where you can get it in time.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I’ve rotated the wires but when I go to hit it with the timing light do I still use the #1 cylinder wire or the wire where the #1 used to be?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it dialed in. Needed to adjust the F/A on the carb a bit for it to say idled.
Thanks all for the help. Glad I donated to the site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts