El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my 76 back on the road. The new engine runs like a beast and I couldn’t have been happier… at least until I put some foot into it. It sounds awesome and it sounds like it’s haulin ass but it accelerates like school bus. It definitely wants to go but g there’s something between the engine and the wheels stopping it from getting to the street. When I first got the car with a mostly stock 400 small block, I could put my foot into it and light up the tires for a city block. Now with this new (rebuilt) supposedly bad ass engine, I can barely spin them at all.
Its a 400 small block bored .030 to 406CID
441x heads cutout to 202
292 dur 550 lift compcam
Performance valve springs
Roller rockers
ESP dual plane performance alum intake
TH350 (possibly the original)
Besides the engine the only thing I changed was the torque converter. When I first bolted up the engine to bell housing it was so tight I couldn’t spin the torque converter to line up the bolt holes with the flex plate. I blew it off while I finished some other stuff (jacked up the front a few times. When I checked again there was about a 1/4 space between them. I lined up the holes and bolted it no problem. I’m thinking it has something to do with the converter since that’s all I messed with besides the engine. It shifts nice and smooth but has no get up and go.
anyone have any ideas? I don’t know anything about transmissions.
Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Check for spark advance and how much base advance is dialed in at the distributor. Does your vacuum advance work? Maybe a vacuum leak? What do the new spark plugs look like - bone white (lean) or sooty rich?

Rick

· Registered
2,800 Posts
That’s a huge cam and it will absolutely kill your low rpm torque. (I ran a 241/241 @ .050 in a Buick 455 once with a 2200 converter; made NO power below 3000 rpm; wouldn’t spin the tires from idle).
You may have a problem making it worse, but that’s a high rpm cam-it needs a loose converter and 3.90 gears.
Patrick

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for yalls advice. I think I have more issues than just the wrong torque converter. I pulled the transmission dipstick and found nasty, black, burnt smelling ATF. I guess I’ll be throwing a bunch of money at a transmission shop. Always something

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sucks to hear. I had very good luck finding a backyard builder on Craigslist. I’d stay away from places like Aamco unless you like paying double.
Yeah it sucks but I got a guy I know that will rebuild the transmission and install a performance shift kit for $600 bucks, but I have to drop it and bring it to him. Is that a decent price in your opinion? I have no experience dealing with transmissions at all.

· Registered
1964 camino, 350 Vortec, 700r4
595 Posts
$600 is a good price. If you went to a transmission shop, they’d charge $2000-$2500. Keep in mind, that $600 price doesn’t include a new torque converter, and a 3200-3400 stall (what you should have) is going to run another $300.

· Registered
52 Posts
Are you sure you seated the torque converter completely when you installed it? It usually has to drop in two spots. If you didn't then you may have damaged the tranny. When installed correctly the converter will turn and be approximately 1/4" or so from the flex plate.

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you sure you seated the torque converter completely when you installed it? It usually has to drop in two spots. If you didn't then you may have damaged the tranny. When installed correctly the converter will turn and be approximately 1/4" or so from the flex plate.
I thought I was sure but after I swung the engine and mated up to the bell housing the tc was so tight against the flex plate I couldn’t spin it. I walked away from it, did some other stuff that required jacking up the front of the car and when I went back to it, there was about 1/4” clearance. I bolted it and rolled with it. I think I screwed something up

1 - 17 of 17 Posts