El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my blower motor today and it’s blowing ok but it’s not putting out enough air to cool down my truck in this desert heat is there an upgrade to the fan or a better motor I can get for her. As of now I won’t be able to drive it during the daylight out here.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Can a blower be upgraded?

Ooops. Thought you were talking about blowers.
Instead, the subject is squirrel cages.

You might be able to substitute a different squirrel cage.
Can you route the vent tubing with fewer sharp bends?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! I thought I posted this in heat/ac section. It takes a whole new meaning in the general fourm������

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
2x, I had a 70 model quite a few years ago. I had the same thought for quite a while. Then one day, I was trying to change a fuse while the motor was running and A/C on and I found my problem! Every foam sealing joint in the duct work had deteriorated to the point of being "gone"! The climate UNDER the dash was quite pleasant, was just kinda hard to drive from there! All my cooled air was inside the dash and not blowing on me!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. I read some other post and saw that could be part of the problem. I do have some big gaps back there. I patched some of it up with duct tape and will get some of that goop to do the seals right. I still think I could use a faster fan or better mouse cage though.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I've been looking into ceramic tint, which can also be put on the front windshield in a clear version. Later window tints work more by reflection vs old tints which were just darkening dyes.
Not sure what all a 64' had going on for an ac system, but agree with above post that of you have ducting leaks, you're loosing efficiency. As far as motor itself on max speed, try running a large jumper wire directly to it from battery . If it speeds it up much, something may be able to be done to the wiring , such as running a relay to switch on max available amperage from battery.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Every foam sealing joint in the duct work had deteriorated to the point of being "gone"!
Yep. I read some other post and saw that could be part of the problem. I do have some big gaps back there. I patched some of it up with duct tape and will get some of that goop to do the seals right. I still think I could use a faster fan or better mouse cage though.
I've been looking into ceramic tint, which can also be put on the front windshield in a clear version. Later window tints work more by reflection vs old tints which were just darkening dyes.
Not sure what all a 64' had going on for an ac system, but agree with above post that of you have ducting leaks, you're loosing efficiency. As far as motor itself on max speed, try running a large jumper wire directly to it from battery . If it speeds it up much, something may be able to be done to the wiring , such as running a relay to switch on max available amperage from battery.

as you've already noted, and as 87ls5.3 pointed out, you probably need to re-seal your duct system. that should be the #1 priority.

about your squirrel cage fan, I don't think you can upgrade because:

1) it's already a pre-built system, you can't fit a larger blower in there,
2) you can't make it go faster without increasing amperage which then makes it that much noisier, uses more electrical power,
3) the ducting itself cannot be moved or adjusted to increase the volume or velocity, there is only so much air you can push through the vents

I think your real options are to either get a more modern system that will fit under the dash, mount a small fan at the visor to help circulate air in the cabin, put some good window tint to help reflect/block the sun, and/or install some sealant on cabin panels like the roof, doors, and floor pan.

It's been a number of years since I've had to get a vehicle tinted so am not familiar with these ceramic tints JlCustomz mentioned. as he said, a lot of the older cheaper tints were just purple dye and many were junk. I remember tints from 40 yrs older that were reflective chrome and are now illegal. The last tint job I had done had some metallic particles that helped reflect heat. But you also have to take into account what your state laws allow for tint and what you can personally stand. Here in Texas we can have limo-tint on the back window but I wouldn't because I personally wouldn't be able to see through it.

A quick Google search found these non-authoritative references. It looks like Cali law is slightly more restrictive compared to Tx. You can also try using those removable tint fabric squares that usually stick up with suction cups on windows. I've even seen front door windows with two layers of tint that are illegal until you peel off the first layer. People will do this to pass inspection and then put a 2nd layer back over it until the next inspection a year later. This way they don't have to replace all the tint if they get pulled over for a violation (just peel off a layer).

Texas
Windshield: 25% VLT tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line or top 5 inches, with less than 25% reflection.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 25% of light in.
Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used with side outside mirrors, 25% VLT without.

California
Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows.
Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

(Interestingly, if you have a certain skin condition, you can have your whole windshield tinted in CA if signed off by your dermatologist............ https://www.devinadouglaslaw.com/devinas-blog/a-small-but-important-change-to-cas-window-tinting-laws)

·
Supporting Member
4,441 Posts
The clear ceramic tint is pretty new- newer than the printed laws can keep up with. They are perfectly clear, so no one would even know you had it unless you told someone, but they block a very high percentage of the UV rays. Not only good for heat, but also for interior preservation. Just had one of my other cars tinted,and the additional cost of the Clear windshield was in the order of $110 extra, because the cost of the film is high.

I tried several different blower motors a few years back. I tried to find a GM motor in a newer car that might fit. I tried some of the late '90's luxury cars ( Cad, Electra, etc). While the fans do turn faster and fit, and move more air, I could not find one that also turned in the correct direction ( newer ones are reverse of ours). I even tried moving over the squirrel cage from our fan, and reversing polarity on the new motor, but couldn't get the fan to fit the motor. I finally bought a replacement fan for our cars, and got maybe a 15-20% boost in performance just from the new fan vs old fan motor. Worth the $20.

Reactions: 5spdCab

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
What darby said. My wife just had her Forester treated, clear heat-blocking film all around, even on the rear tinted windows. Made a huge difference, I was really surprised. So I followed up by treating my daily, and the El Camino gets it next. Once wifey had her car treated, she refused to ride in mine till it was done.
Yeah, I know, some of you are saying "Wish it was that easy to leave mine behind..." :laughing4:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reviving this dead thread.... Since it stopped being 110 at my place I stopped worrying about the AC. But with another Palm Spring summer coming my way I think Ill get a jump on this.
Ill be getting the ceramic tint but that alone wont cut it.
Do I need a who system or will my compressor work with the aftermarket A/C unit.
Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
I'm running a Classic Auto Air system and it has plenty of blow. No regrets there but currently my compressor does not engage so only heat for me right now.

But my compressor problem will soon be fixed under warranty.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
The only thing else I can suggest..........Is your squirrel cage the metal one? I did upgrade my 70 to a later model plastic one and did actually pick up a bit more air flow. The lighter cage seemed to flow a bit better!

Joe

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've changed the cage out when I first got the car. Then evaporator and heater core are clean. The car had a complete frame off restoration a few years ago. The owner I bought her off of lived near the beach so didn't need it so much. The fan is mounted on the firewall inside the engine bay. Ive seen other systems that look like they are all mounted under the dash.
attached is the fan i have in now

When I look at the Vintage air unit I see a larger fan blowing from inside the cab blowing into a larger duct area.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm still struggling with this A/C, but I have found something. I found If I bypass the relay ( that I had replaced) I can get the fan to blow better than it has. Good enough to make it comfortable to drive up till it gets to be 105 out.
Am I going to do any damage if I run it this way? i only have one speed but at least its high and in this time of year that's all ill be running

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
the relay is to protect the little switch and wiring so you don't have full amperage going thru it,
its not rated for the full 20 amps to the fan..
bypassing the switch and relay and run 14v to the fan, the fan should be ok..
Make sure your not cooling only outside air, you should be recirculating some of the air..
x2
I usually block the outside air duct to the fan with a piece of water proof foam,,
makes it 100% recycled cool air ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts