El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic trim pieces along my headliner had been repainted by the PO from red to black. I've noticed the paint has chipped off in a few places, and I can see the original red showing thru some of the chips/scratches. I want to repaint it black, but am wondering if there's a special type of paint I should be using or can I use just any spray paint on that? Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
painting

Yes you can, if you remember on my elky i showed you everything was painted with vinle interior paint. I bought at Oreilly

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Your local auto body paint store can mix you the factory color in a special "dye". All it is is regular auto paint mixed with a special binder to achieve the proper gloss. They can make gloss, semi-gloss, or flat.
Prep is very important for good adhesion. You can't sand or scuff them because you'll lose the grain and cause scratches that swell when painted. But clean then with a soapy dish liquid like dawn.Dry them and then use a wax remover/degreaser, then a quick wipe with lacquer thinner just before you spray. Don't rub the thinner just a quick wipe with a lint free rag. It'll soften the plastic and give the new paint something to bite.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I did all my interior trim with a rattle can just make sure you strip it down then primer and spray one coat at a time letting it dry each time and on the last coat let sit for two days before installing. I thought they were crazy so I tried one first and it came out perfect but it scratches easy but who touches it. When cleaning just take care. There's a lot of videos on you tube on this. You won't be disappointed if you do it slow.:texas:
Duplicolor I think I spelled it wrong spell check doesn't now what the word is.:poke:

Robert

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you can, if you remember on my elky i showed you everything was painted with vinle interior paint. I bought at Oreilly
Thanks Alfred! That's what I figured but wasn't sure. I know yours looks fantastic!
See you Saturday, at the A Walk with Blake Show.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bobby78 and Robert for you advice. I'll post before and after pics when I get going on it later today. :You_Rock:

·
2,566 Posts
If you want to use spray cans you can even use model paint from a hobby shop. It's made for plastic. But agian it's all in the prep.
Now with the car paint you don't have to wait days. You don't need primer. Follow my directions above and you can install it in an hour or two depending on the weather.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
In addition to the advice above, I would recommend you get a can of Bulldog Adhesion Promoter. I used that on my steering wheel before I painted it and two years later the paint is still there.

Bulldog Adhesion Promoter

Copper

·
Registered
281 Posts
Paint prep.

Try Duplicolor paint prep towelettes. Next to their paint on the rack. Couple bucks a piece. Many light coats wont even fill in the grain on the part your painting. Paint sprayed and covered better than I expected.

·
2,566 Posts
Adhesion promoter is only for unpainted parts not for use over already painted parts.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you want to use spray cans you can even use model paint from a hobby shop. It's made for plastic. But agian it's all in the prep.
Now with the car paint you don't have to wait days. You don't need primer. Follow my directions above and you can install it in an hour or two depending on the weather.
I shall prep it like you suggested, and then on to the painting...thanks!:beer:

·
2,566 Posts
SEM has a lot of aerosol in very close to factory colors. If you don't see a good selection or the color you need go to your local auto body supply. They sell it too.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Adhesion promoter is only for unpainted parts not for use over already painted parts.

Understood, but the original poster stated the parts were chipped, and just like you etch/prime places where the paint has come off on metal ...

Copper

·
2,566 Posts
Copper
Yeah adhesion promoter if you were going to strip all the old paint off. It might be chipped from things hitting it or rubbing, not just flaking off. If it is flaking then they need to remove all of it. Good sticky masking tape works great on plastic. Just stick it on rub it down and pull it off quick like a band-aid.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
There are guys, and from what I can tell more than a few of them inhabit this forum, that simply love working on their cars. They are always tweaking and upgrading ... they seem to get a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction from making things better. My dad was one of those. I have friends like that.

I admire guys like that, but I assure you, I am not one of them. Anything I can do to make a repair a one and done, that's what I try to do. Even if the paint were knocked off as opposed to flaking off, if I were touching it up I would give it a squirt of the bulldog in those areas ... just in case. Call it my, "I hate repairing anything more than once," gene acting up. If I didn't do that and I later knocked the paint off again, I would be calling myself names that my momma told me not to call people.

The next time the paint comes off, I want to have to sand it off. :wink3:

Copper

1 - 20 of 26 Posts