El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I would like to put a st of 1984 Los Angeles Olympics Lisence plates on my 1984 Elky. I have seen some for sell on the web. Can those custom plates be re-instated on a vehicle in California? Getting thru to DMV on the phone is nearly impossible.
RTT

·
Registered
174 Posts
I know in texas you can as long as the plate is in good shape.
Many locals with 60s-70s era muscle cars have the matching year plates. SOme have even repainted them to make them look brand new (illegal but.....)

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Got AAA you can find out. I don't think you can get the style 84 Olympics only what's offered now and you can also get that on line dmv.org? or AAA just type in personal license plates and it will show what you can get.

no you can't the link shows all the plates pretty cool.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/plates/specialplates.htm

Olympic Games, 1984

1984 olympic games license plate for vehicles 1984 olympic games license plate for motorcycles

These plates were issued through December 31, 1984, to commemorate the 1984 Olympic Games in Los Angeles. The plates may be renewed indefinitely but duplicate or replacement plates are no longer available.

Statutory Auth

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm pretty sure he means buy a set on Ebay or whatever and then have them registered to the vehicle.

Looks like the answer is no:

Wikipedia (not the best source I know said:
Year-of-manufacture plates

The use of year-of-manufacture (YOM) plates is authorized by Section 5004.1 [2] of the California Motor Vehicle Code. It is a law that allows vintage cars to be registered to use vintage license plates. Any officially manufactured California license plates which were produced prior to 1963 and plates on a currently registered vehicle or trailer of a corresponding model year. If used on the original plate, a sticker or metal tab that corresponds to the year of the vehicle is required.
In July, 2009, California extended its YOM program to include passenger vehicles from 1963-1969, and commercial vehicles (pick-ups, etc.) through 1972. Any black and gold plate from this era may be used on these vehicles, as long as they are "clear" with the DMV (i.e., not used, reported stolen, or no records found, for the last 10 years). A valid sticker must be attached to the plate corresponding to the year of the vehicle that is to be registered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts