El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a Michigan resident, and my 5 year old son keeps asking to go with me in my El Camino (5th gen)...

I've searched for this with minimal results.. Anyone have any experience here? What are the laws/rules/regulations?

Thank you in Advance.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Seat Belt him in,....

Hey ElcoMan, Guess if you strap him in the seat belt, it'll be legal. Unless you mean in the P/U bed? If so, then tie down a lawn chair and belt him in, the local Police will let you know real quick if it's OK,... :neutral: George

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
elcoman,

Google: Michigan child passenger safety law. You'll see post by the Michigan State Police about your question.

Doug

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
You should be ok as long as you use an approved child seat.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I stood up next to dad when I was 5 yrs old. I see nothing wrong with that. No matter what we drove, my place was beside him. Standing up. The only belt I ever saw was when I talked back to him or mom.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
elcoman,
I'm 66 years old and my baby girl is 28 years old! I can't tell you about car seats for 5 year olds, and, I don't understand or have heard of car seat anchors other than seat belts!

Doug

Drive your elco (and take the car seat) to a Michigan State police post and they'll show you how to legally secure a car seat!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Car seats typically have a secondary anchor system that uses the cars seat belt. My son was always big for his age and he's been riding in my 86 elky in a booster seat since he was 4. The booster has no tie down and just uses the regular belt as the restraint. Read it again though "child under 4" is what they keep saying. Your sons 5 so I'd say you'll need a booster. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/booster_flyers_361887_7.pdf is your link about boosters though you still need a booster for him.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
Hello,

I'm a Michigan resident, and my 5 year old son keeps asking to go with me in my El Camino (5th gen)...

I've searched for this with minimal results.. Anyone have any experience here? What are the laws/rules/regulations?

Thank you in Advance.
That would depend mostly on how good he's been this last week, huh!

:nanawrench:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Car seats typically have a secondary anchor system that uses the cars seat belt. My son was always big for his age and he's been riding in my 86 elky in a booster seat since he was 4. The booster has no tie down and just uses the regular belt as the restraint. Read it again though "child under 4" is what they keep saying. Your sons 5 so I'd say you'll need a booster. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/booster_flyers_361887_7.pdf is your link about boosters though you still need a booster for him.

Thanks. What booster do you use?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
My son is five, and the car seat I have tightens down nicely with the seat belt. He likes being in it and my 85 Silverado- likes being up front with the driver.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,536 Posts
Car seats typically have a secondary anchor system that uses the cars seat belt....The booster has no tie down and just uses the regular belt as the restraint. Read it again though "child under 4" is what they keep saying. Your sons 5 so I'd say you'll need a booster. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/booster_flyers_361887_7.pdf is your link about boosters though you still need a booster for him.
x2

My son is a little over 1, and he rides in this: http://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=8J00MTX

It works with the latch system in my late model GMC Yukon, as well as the standard belts in my '72 Elky.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
i stood up next to dad when i was 5 yrs old. I see nothing wrong with that. No matter what we drove, my place was beside him. Standing up. The only belt i ever saw was when i talked back to him or mom.

xxxxx2 amen!! Mom was the enforcer.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...Dad was a Teamsters,..I remember riding in the back of his truck(1964 GMC step-side short bed w/260 cdi straight 6) and up front in his work truck( Big @$$ international lumber truck)..and yes I too have seen the belt going accross my bottom more than once..:twisted:
:beer:

·
Registered
257 Posts
ive had my son ride wit me in the elky since he was born n he is now 2 as of last week. the biggest thing with kids rideing in the front seat is the airbag because it comes out with so much force that it can injure a child and since there is no back seat u r in the clear and good to ride form what i can tell. ive looked into it and had it cleared up with jonny law. everyone keept telling me how dangerous it was.......:dontknow: what did people do in the past befor these law's leave there kids at home:laughing3:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Sounds to me like they maybe need a little whiff of revolutionary air in Michigan!

My family is from there, originally. Glad to be in Texas, where freedom still exists!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts