El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Support a 300-330 hp 350?

before I get my guy to removing eveything on my elky I’m curious if I can just leave it there and do what I’m after which is 300-330 or so whp

this car has all its edge emmisions and other equipment and it all works

·
Supporting Member
4,408 Posts
My first thought is that it cost's you little to try it. It's as close to Fuel Injection as you can get with a carb. The carb will adjust automatically via the O2 sensor to your engine needs, and is large enough CFM wise. It should run with no issues from a fueling point of view. I'm assuming you're thinking of using an SBC 350 motor. Timing may need a different knock sensor, and you might see a small performance improvement using an '87 ECM with the Monte Carlo SS or ZZ4 prom, but I would only go to that expense if you feel you are short of meeting your needs. You will need to do some work to keep the rear end planted with that much HP.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
currently the zz4 prom is installed and the truck is a 87 model

I’m kinda feeling the same way. Why not try it

·
Registered
137 Posts
put a slightly bigger camshaft in it. You'd be surprised how much they wake up the motor. Did that on my last 87 with the stock carb and electronics and was night and day.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
stock chevy EFI cams will make 300 fwhp
good heads make a huge difference..

a XE is not usually computer friendly with out lots of tunin.. and bigger is worse..
CompCams> Cam Part Selector
they have 20 different category's for cams, including
Computer controlled cams
XFI cams
Magnum Computer cams

they all have part numbers and grind numbers..

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea. I know I’m on the ragged edge of unknown. I don’t feel a 220 intake lobe on a abc being to overly much for obd1. Because on some of the computer controlled stuff I’ve looked at it’s similar

but I have a 10 degree split with the added overlap that I’m worried about now

I might just clean the whole thing up by removing emission altogether I guess

that’s going to add to my cost since I’ll need another qjet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts