El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe this radio will fit just fine in a later year Elky (85-87???) but what kind of modifications would I have to do to the dash area to get this into an '82?

This is a link to an Ebay item picture so don't know how long it will be available. I did not buy this but would like to find one to put in if you experts tell me it is doable.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
96 Posts
If your OE radio is a standard 2 knob, then i'd say stick with a 2 knob. you can still get decent aftermarket radios and accesories such as cd changers and add on satalite radio that runs through your FM antenna. I have XM satalite radio and i rarley use the cd player or listen to local radio. I'm just saying this because it seems like a lot of work for an oe style radio when many aftermarkets could do a better job and without major modifiction. it's just my opinion, but i could be wrong :)

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
The 2 things I believe you would need are a new radio bezel and the new mounts for the radio. You can just see the mounts on this radio and the type of bezel that would be needed. This was taken from ebay also so hopefully it will be on there for a while.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. My main thought on trying to put in the GM radio shown was to simply try to keep with an original style for the EC, albeit a later model. Most spectators will never know it isn't correct for the year. I do currently have the old style shaft/knob AM/FM radio.

Jaunts in my Elky are usually just a mile or two and high powered or elaborate audio setups has never been a priority for me. Just want to listen to some oldies when out and about and maybe pop in a cassette now and then. Stock speakers are fine with me.

Poltergeist- thanks for the picture reference. I take it you are saying a later year G-body radio bezel would pretty much solve the installation problem?

This week I am hoping to meet up with a guy that is not too far away from me as I bought an Elky clock on Ebay from him and he has some other pieces that might be of interest to me. I will see what radio bezels he might have on hand and radios as well.

Jim

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Yes, as stated you can do this...I have a stereo similar to the one you have pictured, mine is out of a 95 Trans Am, it is all digital display and has micro switches, it is an updated version of the two pictured. You need the bezel pictured, the mounting brackets, and a wiring harness that plugs into that style of radio. Be careful when you install it, the dash is very weak in the area where the radio mounts and you can easily crack it if you force the radio into the opening or overtighten the screws that hold the bezel on. Take your time. Everything I needed I purchased off Ebay including the wiring harness. Everything that Poltergeist has pictured is all that you will need with the exception of the harness and an adapter for the antenna wire (although you may not need this). Even your current cigarette lighter will work. If you cannot find the harness on Ebay, any decent auto stereo shop should have one in stock along with an antenna adapter. Mine has a digital clock so the dash clock is not needed. I also have a 94 Caddy with a single disc CD player and cassette which would also fit...If you were to install one of these just make sure you don't get one that is for a Bose system, the speakers are powered and will not fit in the dash. If you have any questions let me know. I probably spent about $80-$100 to do this and $50 of it went for the radio itself. It looks great and the graphic equalizer definately helps with being able to adjust the sound. All I have is the stock front speakers at present, and it made a considerable improvement in sound quality. You may also be able to find the bezel in a local boneyard as a lot of G-body GMs use the same style. Finding one the color you need and in good shape is the trick, although they can be dyed to match the color you need.

·
Registered
163 Posts
GM Radio

The radio that you are showing is a so called"High Tec"AM/Fm w/ cassete&Graphic Equalizer.It was the top of the line Radio offered at that time.If you look at both pictures on your replys,the one you are showing has the slide buttons on the top left which is the equalizer control.I don't know what price they want but these type of radios had alot of problems with them.I have bought at least 3 or 4 of this type and each one had a problem with them.I finally sent one to the Radio repair shop to have fixed which cost around $175.00.It was from the repairman who told me about these type "High Tec"problems.So Buyer Beware.The other type which is shown doesn't seem to have near the problem as the other,usely the cassete will not work though.Having said that,it should be a direct bolt in with the parts mention above. I believe after 88 they changed the wiring connections and made some improvements in the radio. Lots of Luck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All good info guys, thank you. After reading I went off to look for a radio and a semi-nearby guy that sells parts on Ebay had several in his stock. Did buy one of the "Hi Tech" models (slightly different from picture in initial post) because he told me he had checked it out and it was A-OK. Unfortunately I am a trusting soul at times. Got it home and bench tested it. First thing I noticed was one LED segment of the 2nd numeral on the digital display was burned out. Figured that one out pretty quick when I was tuned to 59.9 FM. Ain't no such frequency on broadcast FM. A 9 looks like a 5 with the segment burned out. On the clock 5:30 could well be 9:30. :mad:

Radio tunes and receives fine. Everything lights up as it should.

Next problem discovered: It instantly spits out any cassette tape put into it. :mad: :mad:

So, fortunately the guy is semi-local and assured me I could bring it back if it had any problems. Which is what I am doing.

This radio is identical to the one in my 89 Cadillac and that one has been working just fine for 14 years so I am thinking there must be another good one out there somewhere.

But, all in all, a good lesson learned.

Ah, the thrill of the hunt......... :lol:

Jim

·
Registered
163 Posts
GM Radio

Sorry to hear the Radio didn't work out,One of mine had a similar problem with the graphic read out.One more thing,when you are testing the next one try the "BUMP' test.Just use your hand to bang on it.This was a big problem with the earlier Hi Tec models,They would play great until you hit a bump in the road then they would cut off and on and the problem was internally like a cracked circuit board.Its a costly repair,but who counts money when your having fun, Ha Ha

·
Banned
881 Posts
PA_82Elky said:
I believe this radio will fit just fine in a later year Elky (85-87???) but what kind of modifications would I have to do to the dash area to get this into an '82?
This radio was used in lots of GM vehicles including f-body Camaros and Firebirds, Buicks, and Olds. It's basically the same radio, but the side brackets are different for each application. You need the brackets for a 86-88 Monte or 86-87 El Camino along with the faceplate. The pre-89 models will accept the connectors in you 82 but be careful of the 89 and up models. You'll need an adaptor harness to make them work.

I've pulled a bunch of these out of yards and only about 20% of them work good. Most have a problem with the cassette deck.

:mrgreen:

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
theelcaminofactory said:
If you were to install one of these just make sure you don't get one that is for a Bose system, the speakers are powered and will not fit in the dash.
Actually the Bose unit will fit when using the original brackets, but as stated you need the harness and powered speakers. I've got two of the darn things before I figured that one out :oops: I'm still looking for the harness and speakers if anyone has them. I wanted to upgrade for the in dash CD player, yet retain a somewhat original appearance.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey Peter have tried checking installer.com they have all kinds of wire harnesses on there i remeber seeing one for the Bose stereo.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Eddie at installer.com got back to me almost immediately. Although they have the Bose harness, they do not have the Bose speakers. Instead he suggested upgrading the entire system...What a salesman. That's just not what I had in mind 8O

1 - 14 of 14 Posts