El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 ec conquista and the rear frame rails are kinda rusty. The passenger side rail aint too bad but the driver side has some holes... Is it possible to patch the frame rails with some sheet metal or a patch? Can i keep the whole car assembled and not have to take parts off or have the body off the frame when patching?

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
474 Posts
Did my rusty 79 that I brought from the salty northeast, rusted like crazy when I brought it to the humid south. I use a donor frame from a Monte Carlo to patch both back frame rails, easier with the body off but can do it with gas tank out. Hardest think is the body mount bolts are going to spin up in side the body. See if I can find pics of the repairs.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
I wouldn't use sheet metal, depending on where you need the patch, more like 3/16 or 1/4 steel.
Before you do any welding disconnect the battery.
Others with more knowledge will chime in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is a guy in Canada that reproduces the rear frame rail horns, I think he calls them. I just finished replacing mine on my 1985 El Camino SS. They are very nice frame rails and are very easy to replace...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I should have added to the post I just added.....these pictures are not my pictures. They were sent to me showing frame rails installed on a Monte Carlo by Conrad Lozier in Canada. My installation looks almost as good as the pictures he sent me....:neutral:

·
Registered
42 Posts
as a welder i can tell you its a case by case basis .what would scare me is if you see rust in one spot there is probably more you cant see . ive welded many truck frames with no bad outcomes but and a big but if the whole frame is thinned down your gonna have to replace it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rear frame rail horns....

I posted the pictures of the repair for the rear frame rail horns above. My frame rails from just behind the rear wheels on back were rusted badly. The rest of my frame all the way to the front was in very good condition, very little rust. I had the entire frame sandblasted after the rear frame rail repair. I sprayed painted the sandblasted frame with an Eastwood frame primer and then painted a good coat of Eastwood chassis paint.....the frame looks like a new frame.....! Those rear frame rail horn replacements are not expensive and I believe they are heavier than the original frame....was very satisfied the way my frame came out....!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone! So best bet is probably to get new rear frame rails, and bring the car to a bodyshop or someplace to have them take the body off and replace the rails?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just got my frame rails in from SS396.com and Have cut the right side off. I will have to do some cutting on the new rails seeing that they go up under the shock towers. Anybody have any suggestions on how to cut and match new to old?

·
Registered
266 Posts
If the holes are in the bottom of the frame rails behind the rear tires, they can be successfully patched without removing the car from the frame or removing the gas tank.
Without good welding and fabrication skills, it is probably a job best done by a restoration shop or similar. I was not comfortable tackling the job and wanted a professional looking repair so this is what I did. It was fairly expensive I thought given the size of the holes but the repair is not identifiable at all and the frame rails look factory. The previous owner had covered the holes with duct tape and spray undercoated over the tape. If I had not been crawling under the car to give it a thorough inspection I may still not know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts