El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a practically brand new canopy on craigslist for my elco, tinted windows, fresh supple rubber seal, for a tasty $60. I love camping and I foresee many a night slept in the back of my elco... but... what do you all think. :dontknow:

I have a tiny feeling I will be met with much distaste on canopy idea lol:laugh:

Plus when I had my explorer, I went to many crazy Seattle college parties, and would get far too drunk to drive home, and I have a strict policy on that, so I would just fold the seats down and sleep in the back, drive home in the mornin. Similar idea comes to mind with the elco. My partying days are far from over, but my DUI days are in the past ! haha

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Sooo, what does it matter what others think of the idea?? YOU like it, YOU are the one who will use it (maybe not by yourself :dontknow:), and that's all that counts. Personally, I like the idea.:beer:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I would buy it. I would like to have a cap for my El Camino, I doubt I would use it but it would be cool to have.

Doug

·
Registered
929 Posts
Yay, if you ever paint your elky, thing about painting it the same color, there a black one with a black canopy in my area and it looks slick. Just ensure you have the hardware to strap it down right.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I think I'm gonna get it. Today I found out my bed has a leak, and I opened my door to 3 inches of water under the pedals lol so if nothing else the canopy will prevent that until I can afford the Herculiner... I'm going to be putting that stuff freakin EVERYWHERE you name it floorboards, wheel wells, bed liner (of course) Engine bay walls, undercarriage (not muffler obviously)..:nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
{ 3 inches of water under the pedals }
That sounds like a windshield leak or it could be the side window seal. but either way Herculine won't help you there.:dontknow:
Donny

·
Registered
929 Posts
x2 on the windshield leak, unless theres a big rust hole going from the bed into the cab, its coming from a window.
Just remember when using the herculiner, prep is very important especially on things like the floor boards. You should not paint directly over rust with this stuff, when sanding attack the rust and make sure its gone before you put the herculiner over it. Maybe even then hit the bare metal with some self etching primer before you put the herculiner over it. Only reason i'm saying this is, I have seen it bubble up and cause rust problems with incorrect prep. I plan on using it in my bed once it gets a little warmer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a shell that was installed AT THE DEALER when the 1987 El Camino was purchased new, yep, dealer installed and even has a GM sticker on the rear glass window. Color matched blue. I take it off during the summer months, very,very easy to remove! Looks like a sportsman's vehicle when on the back however, very handy during the wet months. The paint under the factory rubber bed mat is just like new, and amazes everyone!

Buy it, you'll never regret it! I had an Elky with a snap cover over it once, looked sharp however, it was a pain to snap on and off when I needed to use the bed. So a hard shell camper style is the only way to go if you use the bed at all.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Here's what my topper looked like on the 85 I sold. It's now on my 87 which is two tone blue. The blue on the topper matches the darker blue.

Doug

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a shell on my 79 back in the 80's and loved it. It looked clean and came in handy if you know what I man:nanawrench:

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,566 Posts
too bad its not like mine.

·
Silver Contributor Participating Member
461 Posts
I picked up a camper shell and have used it several times, it's very handy. But I have to say I prefer the look without the top...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have never liked the look of a canopy on a camino and my take on it is if you needed dry space back there....thats what a wagon is for.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,585 Posts
Joel , I think the bed lid idea is excellent , especially if you like camping and not getting a DUI . I commend you for " sleeping it off " . In 1983 I purchased my first and only new car , an El Camino . Installed a bed lid and with my girlfriend , went camping , hiking , rafting , back packing etc. Went from the Fl. Keys as far as Glacer National Park in Montana . It was wonderful . I used it for years after that traveling around Florida towing my Hobie Cat sailboats around for camping and racing . I covered the Camino`s bed floor with the 12 in. x 12 in. snap togethers rubber tiles from West Marine which kept the bottoms of my stuff dry as well as our bottom when we occassionally had to sleep in the the bed lid . Being an open design allowed for the water that got in to easily evaporate so as to not create a rust problem . When not needed you can simply remove it for storage if you have a place for it . You can sit it on it`s edges but I additionally recommend a couple of supports underneath to keep it in good shape and not want to get out of shape or twist . Try not to continually store it out in the open sun without a cover . Since it is probably fiberglass with gelcoat , have a space for ventilation so the cover is not laying directly on the gelcoat which will bake it . For scratches gelcoat is available or a little rattle can works . Have a good time !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts