El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a great place (for price) on American Racing brand wheels. Problem is I can't decide if I should get the Torque Thrust II's or their #CL205, which is like the Torquethrust 'D' but with a chromed rim.
Anyone have an opinion on this? They'll be 15x7's on the front, 15x8's rear, reverse offset w/ about 2" backspacing, so about a 4.5" to 5" dish. They'll go on my '71.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ok, here's my opinion..........Torque thrust D's........The only aftermarket wheel for a classic musclecar! A 1971 El camino is a classic! 8)

·
Registered
314 Posts
depends on the color of your elky

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Elky85, The color is red with silver band along rockers w/ a black vinyl top, soft tonneau cover black. Front and rear bumpers rechromed, new grille. The genuine fake woodtrim panel on tailgate taken off. All exterior bright trim in great shape.
I did not mention that I'll get the Carlisle-style spinners also... they remind me of the knockoff hubs although smaller.
Elky72ss454, I'm inclined to agree w/ you but I really do like both and just can't decide yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:-D Hey Elky72SS454, the wheels look terrific... I've loved 'em since I was a kid and watching the forerunners of our craziness. The style like that are CL205's, the diff being the chromed rim. Now I'm really torn but happy to have seen a red Camino w/ those wheels!

You're right, Elky 85... they would be easier to keep up. Would really like to get some other opinions too... c'mon fellas, we're waiting!

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ok, you asked for it.........chrome sucks!.........go for the originals
.....I will buy a set for mine if you will..............Thats how much I believe in them 8)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeez! I have to hand it to you... you have some pretty strong convictions, 72SS454... The wife (aka The Bank) likes the II's, but I must admit I lean more toward the traditional. Remember Steve McQueen's car in Bullet? Two Lane Blacktop? Yenko's? The really early funnycars? Nothing like the good ole' Torque Thrust D's.
Here's one a little different though... the CL205's. Satin Gray spokes, but the rim is polished (or chromed) not brushed aluminum. It isn't the place where I found the great deakl but you can get a good enlarged picture of them if you go to www.wheelsforless.com . Tell me what you think.
Does anybody else have some good examples of "D's"? What do you think, the standard American bullet caps or Carlisle 3-bar spinners?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Im my experience with the women...if you want piece in the house, better make her happy. I live alone and I do as I please :D The cl205's are ok, but I still like the torque thrust D's the best. I'm going to buy a set for my elky. I just have a few more important things to do first. # 1 on my list is get my a/c working. I can't stand the Louisiana heat and humidity. Probably will be next year before I buy the wheels but they are on my list. Which ever way you go will be ok because, if it's on an El camino, then it has to be cool. 8)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for letting me off the hook! (I do agree with you though). BTW, I found a place in MO that sells Americans at a delivered price that's lower than any palce on the internet or local 'dealer' anywhere. I don't think I can mention it (the business) here so send me a PM if you want to know more about how to contact the guy.
I'm going 1" wider on my rear wheels, and as soon as I figure out what my backspacing has to be I'm going to order a set.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i like the link with the torque thrust d's on that elky. hes right they do look good on a classic like yours they would look good, and easier to take care of. i have an 85' though and im going to get the torque thrust II's b/c mine isnt exactly a classic, but i love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts