El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I converted my idiot lights to gauges today, and for the life of me can't seem to find the original oil pressure switch which I was going to take out and replace with my new oil sending unit for the gauges. Am I missing something or just blind??? I have looked all around the distributor, and on idiot light cars there is no sending unit above the oil filter. The only thing I found was on the passengers side of the block behind the starter, doesn't look like the oil pressure switch, it has a dark blue wire going to it. The 305 is stock with the ECM and all. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have searched and searched and can't find an answer.

Thanks!!:beer:

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
down on the block under #7, and rear of the block , drivers side of distributor

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
cars with lights will have one sender and as stated above its to the driver side of the dist.cars with gauges will have two, one by the dist for the choke and choke light and one by the oil filter for the gauge

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cars with lights will have one sender and as stated above its to the driver side of the dist.cars with gauges will have two, one by the dist for the choke and choke light and one by the oil filter for the gauge
Will the choke still function properly?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
as long as you didnt disconnect anything that ran to the original sender it should still work. the light uses two wires to work the gauge uses three and the only wire that you can reuse from the light is the ignition hot. you will need to run the new signal wire from the new pressure sender to the dash plug as a light car wont have it. you need to make sure you get all of the correct inputs at the gauge mounting tabs, hot, ground, signal

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as long as you didnt disconnect anything that ran to the original sender it should still work. the light uses two wires to work the gauge uses three and the only wire that you can reuse from the light is the ignition hot. you will need to run the new signal wire from the new pressure sender to the dash plug as a light car wont have it. you need to make sure you get all of the correct inputs at the gauge mounting tabs, hot, ground, signal
I put in a full cluster with the gauge printed circuit board. If I understand what you are saying should I leave everything alone and remove the plug from above the oil filter and install my sending unit there, and run a new signal wire from it to the dash? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
I put in a full cluster with the gauge printed circuit board. If I understand what you are saying should I leave everything alone and remove the plug from above the oil filter and install my sending unit there, and run a new signal wire from it to the dash? Thanks.
Yes.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I have my sending unit installed and the wire hooked up to it, I was thinking is there a wire somewhere that I can splice into, instead of going straight to the gauge in the dash? Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey I have a 1985 El Camino SS. Just put a 350 in it and the oil pressure gauge pegs out at 60 psi. I have checked everything I know to check and am almost ready to put an aux gauge under the dash. I was reading that the El Camino with the gague only had two sensor units. Is this correct for mine. I do not have a loil pressure light. If so where can I put the second unit at on the 350 and which wire hooks up too it?

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey I have a 1985 El Camino SS. Just put a 350 in it and the oil pressure gauge pegs out at 60 psi. I have checked everything I know to check and am almost ready to put an aux gauge under the dash. I was reading that the El Camino with the gague only had two sensor units. Is this correct for mine. I do not have a loil pressure light. If so where can I put the second unit at on the 350 and which wire hooks up too it?

Thanks for any help...
Mine pegs out currently, it's due to the fact it's still running off the sending unit for the idiot lights not gauges, it's possible that it's the wrong sending unit.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
when a gauge car has no signal from the sender it pegs full over 60. the temp and gas are just the oposite

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
I beg to differ on that one Carl. the fuel will peg over when open but the others will stay below 0.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i am afraid you are wrong on that my friend the oil is the only one to peg without a signal. try it and you will see

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
464 i stand corrected on that one, you are correct the fuel gage does go full without ground signal.sorry for the misinfo my friends

·
Supporting Member
4,547 Posts
I have a new 350 crate from GM, and my OP also runs above 60, but will drop down to 35-40 at idle when hot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Oil pressure sending unit

I've got an 1984 with the 305 V8 and my gauge pegs at 60 when cold but once it warms up it seems to work normally.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts