El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't open the driver's side door on my 72. I locked it yesterday and I don't think the lock is disengaging. The lock linkage is connected but something seems to be keeping it from disengaging. I can look into the door and see the lever at the latch moving some. A bent coat hanger does'nt move it any farther. Niether the external nor internal handles will open the door. I'm not sure I can remove the door panel with the door closed.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks
Bud

·
Registered
501 Posts
try leaning all your weight against door and pulling latch at same time, a friend had similer problem and it was seat belt caught in door causing too much tension on the latch to let it work. could be something simple like that hopefully

ron

·
Registered
335 Posts
i had this happen to me 3 weeks ago but only on the inside handle,
the handle leads to a metal rod that goes all the way to the lock mechanism
lever witch it pokes through a hole and a c-clip holds it in and it fell off

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys but no luck so far. Does anyone happen to have drawing or exploded view of the latch mechanism.? How does the lock interface with the latch?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found the solution to my problem on the Chevelle site. The striker plate for the exterior door handle was not in the completely released position. This prevented me from unlocking the door. I was able to insert a screwdriver in the door through the window channel and push the striker toward the release (outside) position. This allowed me to unlock the door and open it. Man I'm glad all you guys are out there. Sooner or later someone else will have the same problem and this forum might save them a lot of grief.
Bud

·
Past Texas Director
6,187 Posts
I had the EXACT same problem yesterday---no matter what I tried, I could NOT get my driver's side door to open! It had done this a few weeks ago after I'd locked the door. So, I just started yanking the door lock up and down about 10 times and voila-the door opened. It's just a suggestion-it worked for me. :texas:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.