El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems to idle at about 2-4 mph, i have to hold the brake and give it some gas to keep it from dying if i dont it kinda shakes and wants to die and somtimes does, i have a 77 classic with rebuilt 350 with stock 4bbl carb. if anybody can help i would be thankfull.

Thanks Casey

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how would i go about finding, fixing the vacuum leak? any most likely suspects? thanks again for any help

·
Registered
548 Posts
Casey, Have you tried turning the idle screw on the carburator? Should be a small screw located at the bottom of where the linkage from your gas pedal attaches to your carb. The screw should have a small spring around it & should be turned in a clockwise direction until you get the desired idle. I suggest that you purchase a Haynes or similar book for your year Elky. They can guide you through basic tuning. Jon

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Although this could be a vaccuum leak or a mis-adjusted carb, it could also be something else. Does the car hesitate on hard acceleration? Turn the idle screw a bit to see if that helps and/or check carb for vaccuum leaks, also vaccuum lines (cracks or not on properly). Was the carb rebuilt? Is it a new carb? Other things that could cause this, timing, plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, coil, fuel pump. Start with the easy/cheap stuff and work from there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah it does hesitate when i accelerate hard it takes a good half second or so befor it finnaly kicks in when its floored, its stock carb i dont think its been rebuilt i havent while iv owned it. ill check the vacume lines agian and mess with the idle i dont know much about carbs so im kinda ehh no not a carb problem :baa:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts