El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to keep my car outside, so for the past several years have been using the Car Pocket, made by Rhino Shelter.
What I like about it is it keeps the car protected from the elements and provides coverage from the underside so rodents can't get at it which was my major concern.
It is made of a tarp-like material, so they could chew through it, but I have never had that happen. I have found dead rats under the cover!
I find I need to replace it every other year usually because the cover develops pin holes due to flexing with the wind. Also, the zipper tends to fail for what ever reason although I try to keep it lubricated with silicone spray.
Because the cover moves I use a conventional cover under it to protect the paint.
After a rainstorm there is water on the bottom surface probably due to seepage past the zipper.
Overall it is cheaper than building or renting a garage and aside from the hassle of unzipping/uncovering to access the car, it does keep it clean.
Question - I was thinking of getting a Battery Tender but wondering about installing that device inside the cover (fumes/vapors?). Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
That cover isn't tight enough to worry with that. I use a battery tender under the cover of my boat and there is no problem. What you're doin and don'y realize it is trapping the moisture in the car, which will come back to haunt you in time. There is nothing that will replace a dry garage or inside building storage

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback on the battery tender.
I hear you on the moisture accumulation. Fortunately I live in a dry climate so when I access the car I can leave it open to dry out. I'm not going to fool myself into thinking there isn't some potential damage being done but so far nothing obvious.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts