El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have an 87 with a 305 in it that I got under a year ago. Car started and ran great for the first week then it started needing carb cleaner sprayed to start it, then it started sputtering at idle and now once I get it started once I stop hitting the gas it immediately shuts off. I start it again, and same thing, this happens 3 or 4 times before it is drivable. Well, that was until today when I pulled put of my driveway and my car sputtered and shut off. I feel like this is a fuel issue? Has anybody had this issue? Could it be as simple as a fuel pump?

Any ideas or suggestions on how to diagnose it would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching the forum before posting and didn't have much luck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Have you done any diagnosis on it so far? Easiest thing to check is fuel pressure with a rented kit from any auto parts store to check the fuel system. Though if the car is has trouble running initially and then runs fine once warmed up that sounds more like a carb or ecu issue.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If it still has the computer quadrajet I would put a regular Quadrajet on it..

It could be the distributor, this is why I like points...

·
Registered
227 Posts
As mentioned above, check for fuel pressure from the pump to the carb. If OK, move through the system from there- next would be the fuel filter, then for example, can you see a spray of fuel when moving the throttle? If not, the accelerator pump in the carb likely has a torn diaphram and will no longer pump. That can be replaced by itself, but it's likely time for a full carb rebuild and cleaning anyway.

Putting a non computer controlled carb on it will give you a check engine light all the time, because the computer won't be able to find the carb any longer; plus keep in mind that the stock distributor's timing curve is controlled by the computer also. If going with a non computer carb, best to do the same with an HEI (non-computer controlled) distributor.

But, first identify why it's stalling; certainly sounds like starving for fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
You say it started and stalled a few times before it ran. How is the choke functioning? Is the plate closed at cold start? Does the choke pull off let the plate open up an eighth inch when cold? Does the plate open up when the engine warms?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having something similar with my '86 305 engine. I'm chasing down the problems on mine. Facing your engine from the front. The low speed idle screw is down on the bottom right front. On the left side down on the left front is the high speed idle screw. You'll need a torx wrench for both. Adjust both just to get it running. It'll give you an idea what you need to do.

This is assuming that you're getting fuel. As mentioned earlier check your fuel filter. It may be plugged. Have someone crank the starter to see if fuel is coming up through the fuel line to the carb. If not you may need a pump.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello all,

I have an 87 with a 305 in it that I got under a year ago. Car started and ran great for the first week then it started needing carb cleaner sprayed to start it, then it started sputtering at idle and now once I get it started once I stop hitting the gas it immediately shuts off. I start it again, and same thing, this happens 3 or 4 times before it is drivable. Well, that was until today when I pulled put of my driveway and my car sputtered and shut off. I feel like this is a fuel issue? Has anybody had this issue? Could it be as simple as a fuel pump?

Any ideas or suggestions on how to diagnose it would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching the forum before posting and didn't have much luck.
I had an issue in my 67 (327 small block) where it was acting similarly. It wasn’t starting except for when I held the throttle about halfway open. I did some research and ended up replacing the The condenser for the coil(small metal cylinder with a wire going to the ground side of the coil) after that it started right up(albeit roughly as I have some other issues). It was a simple fix, about 3 bucks at Napa auto parts and 5 minutes to install. I agree with everyone else that it could be the carb or fuel pump, but before you sink time and money into fixing those try the condenser, it could save you a big headache.

good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello all,

Something else to consider is that the fuel may have gone bad, try getting some fresh fuel and dumping it in the carb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts