El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking around and wanted to check to see if this was a problem for anyone else.

One day my car just died while accelerating from a stop light. It went puff puff like a backfire with out the gunshot noise.

After about 30 mins of troubleshooting the car magically fired right up and I drove home. I was less than .5 mile away. Car died when I put it in park again with a stiff puff.

Thinking my carb had finally bit the dust (was badly rebuilt and had damage from PO) Found one online for a resonable amount. Replaced carb.

Car starts and runs way better than it has ever before. Not weak feeling, about 15 mins of idling and adjusting loud single backfire and car stalls.

Pulled spark plugs and they were dry but fouled by the last carb running so rich, replaced.

Again it stalled and pulled the plugs again they were dry. for $40 replaced all fuel lines and fuel pump and fuel filters. why not right? I didn't know what the PO had done to it last. Gas tank clean as a whistle

Alas stalled again. replaced ignition coil, no joy, replaced secondary coil, no joy, replaced ecm, no joy called for reinforcements.

I should note all this time I was using my meter to verify I had power to coils.
Talked to friend who was chevy guy he recomended not listening to the autopart people and just replace the condenser anyway.

replaced condenser and problem is gone. Moral of the story, Just because they say it's only for radio interference doesn't mean it doesn't do something else.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
its great you have it fixed,radio coil causing the problem ?? not real sure about that ,but if its fine than There you go !:secret: and yes as your friend said the nice folks at the auto parts are there to sell you parts, here on ECC we want to help you with the correct advice, to get your El camino up and running ! :beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
its great you have it fixed,radio coil causing the problem ?? not real sure about that ,but if its fine than There you go !:secret: and yes as your friend said the nice folks at the auto parts are there to sell you parts, here on ECC we want to help you with the correct advice, to get your El camino up and running ! :beer:
I finally got mine running perfect but I couldn't find the condenser I have the small dist. and it only has the rotor and control module under the cap. The coil is mounted on the block next to the dist. but where does the condenser mount?

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
If the condenser is shorting it can certainly interupt the ignition, just as a shorted tachometer can also short the ignition.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
This is the only one under my cap. one plugs into the coil the other has 4-wires and looks like the wires come from the wire harness but I will check if it's mounted somewhere else.? I have the small dist. cap with this and the rotor that's it inside the cap.

·
Supporting Member
4,476 Posts
Robert, on the newer modules like you have, I'm pretty sure the condenser is built inside the module pack.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Robert, on the newer modules like you have, I'm pretty sure the condenser is built inside the module pack.
Thanks
I think so to even though they show one for the truck I have learned it's not always true.:beer: Also the truck is running awesome I had one of the new spark plug wires hitting the manifold and was melted.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly From what I can remember from a kid working with dad I too was skeptical, But when you replace the entire ignition system and fuel system and it still fails and the only thing you have to replace is that little rusty looking capacitor and you change it and the problem goes away I too was just as intregued so i disassembled "johnny 5" *the ecm* what I found was some surface mount resistors what appeared to be a 555 timer *unmarked* and something printed on a silica wafer. all coated in a silicon rubber. So from what I can gather is ....

The condenser fails to surpress the excess voltage completly, The excess voltage goes back into the ecm, the ecm starts to heat up more than normal and eventually fails.

The condenser is fine at cooler temps but as it heats up it's conductivity increases and it starts "leaking" back to the ecm causing it to over heat.

considering the ecm is a part that either works or not an intermitent problem could be confusing. I only wished I would have taken the time to take readings when it was hot and when it was cold and compared it with the new one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts