El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I can't seem to figure this out. I had to put a new starter in my 85 because the solenoid was fried. I drove it twice since then and parked it. Now I turn the key and nothing! All my lights and everything come on like normal but you can't even hear a click. I tried a battery and looked at all the wiring I can see under the hood and all the fuses. I thought maybe it was another starter but you can do the screwdriver trick and bump it and it works. Does that rule it out completely? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Check your negative ground cable from the battery. Make sure it goes to a good clean contact on the engine block. Also, confirm that the new starter has good contact with the engine block (no paint, grease, etc).

I had the same problem and moving the battery ground cable from the alternator bracket to the engine block solved the problem.

Hope it helps.

·
1,867 Posts
It is a good idea to move the ground wire to the engine block itself. You should have a place to mount it above the fuel pump. Then make sure you still have a ground wire from the engine to the firewall. Recheck all connections.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If it bumps fine with the screwdriver it's not the starter or the block ground. Check to see if you have 12 volts on the starter start wire as you turn the key. When the solenoid burnt you could have also fried the Neutral Start switch contacts or the start contacts in the ignition switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem

Hey GMAC did you fix the problem? I'm going through the same exact thing right now with my '85 too. Just had the starter rebuilt because before it wasn't even getting a bump when I tapped it with the screwdriver. Now that it's rebuilt, the car still won't start but this time when I bump it with the screwdriver it'll start. I was told it could be my ignition switch, but I'm not sure. Anybody knows where the ignition switch is located on a '85 or do I really got to break down the stearing column just to get to it?

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
The ignition switch is down on the side of the column. Lay down in the drivers floor after removing the plate that covers the column mounting bolts(the one with the little AC outlet if equipped) look up and you will see it.
There is just a rod that runs down from the tumbler (key) to push it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts