El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dep. Director, Region 9
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Elko out for the first time this year on Sunday and after a short 30 minute cruise she died going down the highway. I pulled over and noticed some smoke coming from the hood so I opened the hood and found a nice camp fire brewing out of my carb roasting my hood. Crappy Day.
After trying to diagnose what went wrong the only thing that looks obviously bad is the accelerator pump seems to be barely moving and sticking. Could this have caused the carb and breather to load up with gas? Any other suggestions or things to look would be appreciated. I have replaced the accelerator pump and checked for leaks around carb and intake using the starting fluid method. seems to be running fine but would like some more input.

Engine was rebuilt the middle of last year with a new Edelbrock intake and carb, It ran great last year.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,284 Posts
junk that Eddy carb and go either F.I. or holley/ Q-Jet..
:listen:

·
Dep. Director, Region 9
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured the Quadra junk supporters would come out. lol
Steelybill - yes I do have a good fuel filter in place.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I've

Lol that is funny!
I had a couple of Q-jets in my boat for many years and they are a good carb so I'm not denying that. My bud could rebuild and tune em like no ones business but it is funny when folks say that Ed'ls are garb.
As we always say, to each is own

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I've never had good luck with an Eddy.

Never had bad luck with a Q-jet.

·
Dep. Director, Region 9
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking for some advice on what to look for, not for personal opinions on what carb is the best. I am already full of opinions, lol. Thanks for the feedback anyways!

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,477 Posts
I was looking for some advice on what to look for, not for personal opinions on what carb is the best. I am already full of opinions, lol. Thanks for the feedback anyways!

Sounds like you may have found the issue, I can’t think of anything else that would cause that. Maybe make sure the carb isn’t leaking from the top gasket.

And to agree with Todd he wasn’t looking to replace the carb, come on guys, read the post and have more to offer than a *%>¥jet

·
Dep. Director, Region 9
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you may have found the issue, I can’t think of anything else that would cause that. Maybe make sure the carb isn’t leaking from the top gasket.

And to agree with Todd he wasn’t looking to replace the carb, come on guys, read the post and have more to offer than a *%>¥jet
Thank You JKCamino, I will double check the top gasket.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Edelbrock carbs are especially sensitive to fuel pressure. Do you have a gauge and regulator to keep it in the 4-5 pound (max) range? On my last vehicle, I was running a plain old Autozone fuel pump, and that thing was almost 9 pounds when I fired it up; not good.

·
Dep. Director, Region 9
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Edelbrock carbs are especially sensitive to fuel pressure. Do you have a gauge and regulator to keep it in the 4-5 pound (max) range? On my last vehicle, I was running a plain old Autozone fuel pump, and that thing was almost 9 pounds when I fired it up; not good.
Thanks LuvNlife, I do not have a gauge and regulator but I am going to look into that now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
More than likely one of your floats stuck, then a bad plug wire lit it off. You guys really should run your gas way low then put an additive in the tank put 5 gallons in the tank to mix it up. Drive it 10 miles then park it for the winter. This gas today is around 40% propane, with a shat load of chemicals to keep it suspended in the liquid. The resultant chemicals are murder on your carbs, especially after the carb dries out.

Long story short if you didn't winterize your baby, plan on a carb rebuild and possibly a new fuel pump, (rubber dries out)

Just my experience's

1 - 17 of 17 Posts