El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. I've noticed the smell of gasoline has been seeping into the cabin of my 84' elco so I decided to do some investigating. After taking off the air filter I found that a fuel line was leaking from the fitting that attaches to the carb itself. I don't want a fire on my hands so tomorrow I'm going to see about sealing that fitting. Is there anything you guys would suggest to get a better seal? I was thinking maybe some Teflon tape but I'm not sure if that's safe to use on a fuel line.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The previous owner swapped it out for a Holley. Not sure on the model but it it's got the electric choke. That's about all I can tell you about it unfortunately. I'm still learning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It may be as simple as snugging the fitting back up. If it has been overtightened it could have pinched the gasket or worst yet stripped the threads in the fuel bowl. If it were me I would stay away from the teflon, replace the bowl if needed. Ted

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I've been looking a little more into it and apparently you're not supposed to use any sort of tape on the lines since it can melt and end up clogging the carb. It doesn't seem to be leaking from the carb itself so I'm hoping the threads aren't stripped on it. The leak is really small at the moment but I really don't want it developing into a bigger leak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts