El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am in need of a new carb but just realized somthing. I have a rochester quad and my 3" air cleaner barely scrapes by under my hood. I actually cant let my hood drop on its own because the aircleaner hits. My question is are all quads the same size? I really dont want to buy a hood scoop if i dont have to over a centimeter differnce. I dont know why i touch the top, just a 350, normal intake, no carb spacer, and a 3" air cleaner which channels up on the bottom like it is suppose to.

I am lookin at mountain man, or a local store if i can get a deal. No edelbrock if any of you are wondering.

Just need to make sure before i buy one.

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Brandon

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I dont got a spacer?

This is my set up....looks normal???:poke: yet it touches. my aircleaner rod pokes the metal of the hood...not good.

As shown my air cleaner is wearing away my instalation

thanks

Brandon

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thanks.

Oh does anyone know if the rod is suppose to poke the top out of a normal carb? I dont think somethings right lol!

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SteelBeast:: i just sayour motor on your Belton thread and i noticed something.... You got a bigger motor than me yet it sits lower than mine? I am thinking someone raised up the engine mounts on mine. Cause if you watch your vid and then look at my pic, my intake is way higher up in the bay. Give my your thoughts on this but i think i may have found my problem.

·
0 Posts
SteelBeast:: i just sayour motor on your Belton thread and i noticed something.... You got a bigger motor than me yet it sits lower than mine? I am thinking someone raised up the engine mounts on mine. Cause if you watch your vid and then look at my pic, my intake is way higher up in the bay. Give my your thoughts on this but i think i may have found my problem.
I don't know the height on mine but I swapped the motor mounts when I did the install.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Might just be the angle of the pic that's making it look high in the front.
How is the spacing around the fan in the shroud? Does it look to be even all the way around? Top and bottom?
Could just be the wrong aftermarket filter housing. Look at Summit, Jegs, Speedway, etc. I think they sell ones that look the same and hold the same filter but sit lower because the mounting area is offset. On my 350 with edelbrock intake and carb, I added the wood spacer between the intake and carb and still had to add a spacer under the air cleaner to raise that up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts