El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'll start from the top. I have an 87 Elk with a 305 and it ran great for 3000 miles, after i bought it. Then the fuel pump went out, and i put a new one on. About a week after that the car just died on the highway. When i popped the hood gas was all over the top of the carb and the manifold. After it evaporated the car will start but then will immediatly shoot gas from the top of the carb. Not just a little i mean a lot. I took it apart cleaned it and put it back together. This didnt help though. If i clamp the fuel line down almost all the way it will run just fine. I dont know if its the carb or what. Its a Quadrajet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I look at too much pressure at the fuel pump. I'd put a T inline and then work up a cheap pressure gauge to see what it reads. About 6 pis at idle and 3 at WOT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well we we clamped the fuel line down it seemed to run just fine. Maybe thats the problem. I just wasnt sure if the carb may have been screwed up to.

thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a problem with the float and or needle valve. Clamping the fuel line is merely fixing a symtom of too much fuel being delivered by the fuel pump. The needle valve is a delicate piece, if the viton face of the needle is damaged it will never seal when the fuel level exerts pressure against it. The small retaining spring does not hook into the hole of the float arm, but hooks over the end. Have you checked the wet float level??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i checked the needles and the wet float level. thanks for your help. I got a rebuild kit for it. We'll see how this works.

thanks

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Its either float issue or the new fuel pump won't shut off when the carbonator is full. A bad fuel pump can also force the float open and in turn make it look like its the float...

·
Registered
423 Posts
what type of fuel pump mechanical or electric . if electric how much PSI is it putting out. You might need a fuel pressure regulator. Mechanical should be fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts