El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
I don't think a thing is to be gained. I did the same change over, got rid of the factory manifold and Rochester Q-jet. I was tired of re-building the Q-jet and not having good choke response. The spacer made the Edelbrock air cleaner too close to the hood, so we didn't use it.

I didn't run it with the spacer, but I am VERY pleased with the performance without it. It's like fuel injection: always starts right up, always responsive to the pedal, and very smooth overall.

On a performance basis, the more distance the fuel vapor has to travel, the better it will mix, stabilize and be consistant at each cylinder. However, my 77 with a 355 ci. (.30 over, mild cam, highway rear gears) has no problem doing a brake/hold standing burn-out and is still a good daily driver.

Just my personal experience,

Elky77
(formerly margoelky)

·
1,867 Posts
From what I have read a carb spacer is one of those ify things. If they do help, they could give you alittle more top end. I agree with your chioce of carb, I love mine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you have any experiance using a mill you can just mill one out of aluminum or steel. Have to be careful about making your own gaskets though. I've seen people at the race track running WOOD spacers. They seem to block heat transfer more, this might be something to check out. If you can stick cheap wood one on there (even homemade) and get the performance you want, then go for the aluminum one. If it doesnt help, throw the block of wood away. Watch for splinters, not sure how they keep wooddust and splinters from entering the manifold, must have to coat it with something. Ask around

·
Registered
87 Posts
carb spacers are only like $17 and so thats not that wxpensive if its not good keep the package and take it back!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have talked to somebody running a wood spacer, and he loved it.
if you can use a drill and a sabre saw you can cut some out with different heights, and see which one does what you want it to.
the wood should be planed or bought planed so to have a flat mating.
I would not use the chip board, get a 1x4 or a 2x4 and use your gasket as a stencil.
just my 1.5 cents, she won't let me have all two.......

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Just a little story about homemade wooden carb spacers. When I was just a budding hotrodder a friend of mine got a surplus 4 barrel carburetor supposedly off of an Army tank engine. It was a huge carb and my friend and I carefully made an adaptor from a wooden board and installed it on his dad's Plymouth V8 (his dad was not informed of our plan). It did run but we could never get it to idle low enough to actually road test it. After that we made a straight thru exhaust system out of 2" galvanized water pipe and almost died during the welding process--but that's another story.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts