El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this might be a stupid question but here it goes. So i have and 87 elco v8 5.0 conquista and i am currently switching out my stock carb for an edelbrock 1405 which brings me to my question (actually i have 2).

1. my stock carb has many vacuum lines going to it 5 to be exact and this new edelbrock only has 2 ports one for timing vacuum and one for manifold vacuum and from what i understand is if i have a vacuum advanced distributor then i would hook that up to my timing port and because i dont and do have an automatic trans i hook up the trans vacuum line to the manifold vacuum and im assuming cap off the timing port. but where do all my other lines go? timing or manifold or both? on a side note when removing this carb i dont remember a vacuum line going to the trans in the first place could the stock one not need it or did it fall off or what?

and now question 2 WILL IT WORK!!! haha. will this new manual carb work on my elco with all these unplugged unused electrical carb hook ups? I know i wont pass smog with it and i currently dont have a egr valve (because the new high performance intake i put on makes the egr hit the valve cover any suggestions?) so i have that capped off but without an electrical carb hook up will my ecm start freaking out and shut her down? one more thing if anyone has done this or knows about this swap tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch

·
Supporting Member
4,474 Posts
Beyond that, I believe you have a 4 speed trans ( 200-4r) in that year Elky. You will need the proper throttle linkage corrector for the edelbrock for your TV cable. Get this wrong, and you will fry your trans within just a few miles of driving. Check out http://www.tvmadeez.com/ for more info.

You are essentially eliminating the ECM by doing this swap. New carb requires a Non-ECM controlled Dist. You will also need a way to control your lockup function in your trans, and some modifications to make your cruise work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I see so the ECM will not advance the distributor without the carb electronics hooked up right? And my cruise control from what I can tell runs off manifold vacuum that runs directly into my intake unless I have electronics that control a solenoid or something to open that vacuum. Also what about all the other vacuum lines? I have a line to my carb from the purge solenoid the bowl/thermal valve and the temp sensor. Where do I rout all those?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have to smog her still but I recently did smog it so I have about a year an a half before I have to again. I'm planning when the time comes I will have a fresh new engine in there and if for some reason that doesn't pan out I will have the stock carb as a back up and the rest of the parts required to pass smog.

For a temp fix I think can remove the ECM and advanced the distributor timing and run it slow and steady without ignition advance. But I'm worried about if there is enough vacuum in that one line to support 4 or 5 lines merging into it? And I really haven't done any research on the trans due to the fact it is hard to find someone who is in or has been in the same situation and I'm the type of guy who needs to understand every aspect of the job before I start.

P.s- this is a temperary carb mine is getting rebuild but I will also probably buy an edelbrock to throw eventually. Ooh and this carb was given free so 0 cash invested into it yet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts