El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Happy Easter everybody!!!

Okay mnt man carbs said i can have a carb built for $250, but if i send my carb in they will build one for $205. BUT shipping both ways is a hastle. Need advice on which one to do.....

Option 1-......

$250
+shipping($25)

Total $275

Option 2-......

$205
+shipping($25)
+shipping again($25)

Total=$255

Im only saving $20.00, would it be worth it to keep the carb?

Why i am debating is because if i keep my carb i can probably sell it for $50.00. Ive seen crappy ol' quads on ebay run $75 all day long, and mine is is in fairly good condition.

Opinions guys?

Thanks

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
I bought a new one from them for 280, as the one I had was wrong for my engine. That included shipping one way, and it came with a free return label for the old one as a trade in. I am very pleased with how it looks, but not yet installed it. I will be installing it within the next couple days.

Tim

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Option 1 does seem like less trouble

Is your carb still the electronically controlled carb, connected to an ECM computer?

Just installed a 2 barrel, NON ECM, Dualjet carb on my 82 as part of the removal of ECM, ECM controlled distributor and removal of air pump system. Mountain Man found me a non-ECM core to rebuild since my original carb would have required keeping all the electronic controls. Car fired up on the first attempt. I had a non-computer controlled ACCEL HEI distributor already, so this was a pretty easy swap.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the ecm yes. I agree JPMDaddy,

But whats the return label? Do you only pay for shipping once?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope! And nope! Doesnt require state tests. If they did i would fail before they even got under the hood!

And i am bypassing the computer stuff.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
From what I remember.. you pay shipping to them and the return shipping is in the rebuild price. Its not that big of a hassle to ship it. Take it to fedex office and they have all the packing material you need. My Mountain Man carb now has 60k miles on it and going strong. When I clean my K&N filter I also spray the carb with carb cleaner just to keep it clean and all the moving parts lubed. It was an 8 day turn around job. Not bad. Either way you'll get a great carb.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay thatks guys!! Somethin to think about!

Im in Kansas so there are plenty of farm trucks that need carbs! And if i send mine in i guess fedex can help me!

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Is your current q-jet electronically controlled? If so, I doubt anyone with a tractor or any other vehicle that doesn't have all the rest of the ECM crap in it would be able to use it. It will never operate correctly without all the other emissions related stuff.

Mountain Man, I hear, rebuilds the ECM style carbs as well, so he can use it for a core for some poor soul whose state still requires emissions tests even on old cars..... California for instance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts