El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a bit of trouble with my 4bbl carb. twice i have been driving and the car just shuts off and when i pop the hood gas is running out both sides of the carb where the choke and throttle go through the sides. it will start back up but you have to hold the throttle all the way to the floor and then it sputters and does not want to take the gas. the motor is a 350 with the original 4bbl Rochester carb. my thoughts are that the float may be sticking due to the new style gas we have here with the ethanol blend and i was told that it will clean and strip off any old gunk and build up that is in the tank and lines and carb. any ideas??
been thinking of taking the carb off and cleaning and rebuilding it but why mess with something that works 99% of the time and take a chance on messing up something else?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Really?! It happened the first time and didn't catch fire so you thought you'd keep driving it? Doesn't matter how it works 99% of the time. That 1% can kill you! Stop driving it and rebuild the carb while you're still alive and still have a car.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i have to say, sounds like a float sticking, carb cleaner is not the answer, rebuild that carb before it catches fire(at least replace the needle and seat) i have a very crispy 74 shovelhead that had that same problem, the previous owner just lived with it(and i got a harley project for next to nothing)

·
Registered
158 Posts
right now i got a problem with my elCo and i still havent found the problem it idles fine on park but when i got it on drive and step on it it stumbles and sometimes it turns off and it wanna turn off.. and i got the Carb rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Q-Jet, Q-Jet, Q-Jet.....
Just make sure your q-jet is a Rochester and not a DA Carter. I HATE Carter q-jets, and guess what I got from Mountain Man??? I Dumb-A Carter, and I'm about ready to trash it after two months of using it. Carters are for Chrysler products, NOT GM.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Just make sure your q-jet is a Rochester and not a DA Carter. I HATE Carter q-jets, and guess what I got from Mountain Man??? I Dumb-A Carter, and I'm about ready to trash it after two months of using it. Carters are for Chrysler products, NOT GM.
Have you contacted Mountain Man and inquired about that? Anything he can do for you?

Guess if I ever need another q-jet, that would be the first question to ask. Are they clearly marked with brand embossed on body of carb??

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Bruce, Did you order a DA version and have you contacted them about the problem ? We all have found they bend over backwards to make their customers happy,but they have to know all the details before they can help. I and so many others on El Cent and other places have had super great service from them. Good luck on getting it worked out . WP

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
John, yes, the Carter name was on the carb. I have had one other Carter in my life (vehicle) that I had problems with, and this was many a year ago (50). I don't see that they have improved over the years. What I ordered was a q-jet for a 350 NON-ECM controlled that is, basically, a stock 350 with stock cam and not used for dragging. It sits on a Performer RPM dual plane, q-jet intake. As much as I hate the thought of doing so, I'm contenplating going back to the Eddy until I get the Rochester repaired.:let_it_all_out:

Wayne, what is a DA version??????

·
Registered
852 Posts
right now i got a problem with my elCo and i still havent found the problem it idles fine on park but when i got it on drive and step on it it stumbles and sometimes it turns off and it wanna turn off.. and i got the Carb rebuilt.

check the accelerator pump. make sure its spraying an even solid stream of fuel when you go from idle to wide open throttle. (try it with the engine off and when you go to start it hold the throttle wide open till it fires up)

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
"Wayne, what is a DA version?????? "

lolol Ya got that from what I posted. It's a "dumb-azzed" Carter. I'm charging the '56 battery right now. Have to move it to get to the ladder to the attic to get the Rochester. I've found a place that will repair the throttle shaft/bearing by sending in just the throttle plate at a reasonable price. Will send it in ASAP.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i did some work on a friends computer and stuff and he gave me a Edelbrock 650 carb and intake that he had laying around cause i told him about what was going on with mine. it will be nice to be back on the road again cause i miss driving it. they are brand new and never out of the box. the carb is the 650 thunder series and the intake is the Edelbrock performer for 1986 and earlier small block chevy's.
thanks to all who posted and offered advice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks :) it seems that everyone has their own opinion about Edelbrock carbs v/s Holley carbs and Q-Jet's. but for the price i think it was a good deal cause you cant beat free. lol
as soon as i pick up a gasket set i will put it on and see what happens and let everyone know.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
For as much as people have complained about Edelbrocks giving them problems, I've owned 3 and they've all ran well. My big block had a 750 to begin with, then I swapped over to the dual quad 600 setup and it runs very well... Holleys run great as long as you aren't having problems with them, and you get the tune right on them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts