El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'll try and make this as short as possible. My 86 failed the emissions (low idle) and the tank pressure test (passed the cap test) at inspection. I took the car to meineke for a smoke test, but they are telling me it has to do with the vapor canister (carbon canister, charcoal...etc.). Supposedly there are no leaks in any part of the fuel system, but there is a problem with the the canister. They are saying that the pcv valve is sucking air from the canister fine, but there is no vacuum coming from the feul line into the canister. I'm assuming it's the selenoid (eh, the purge valve?) since it's covered in rust. They are telling me that this will cause me to fail a pressure test, but people at the auto shops are telling me it has nothing to do with it since they clamp off the hose coming from the fuel line. So what do you guys think...maybe the canister has some kind of leak? I'm a little frustrated since my T tags just expired today.
-thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Could be a leaking charcoal canister, this could be causing you to have excessive flow into the intake causing a slight lean condition resulting in a low idle. You might try plugging the ports on the charcoal canister and pulling a vacuum on it to see if it leaks. If I am understanding what your car failed on, they found that the car was not pulling a vacuum on the tank, but that if a vacuum was pulled on the tank the cap didn't leak? I could be wrong on this, but this is just my guess from a knowledge of this system, not this system in this particular vehicle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I'll try that out. In the mean time do you think I would be safe if I got a good old fashioned regular charcoal canister (one line in from the fuel line, one line out to the pcv only w/ no electronics) in order to get a vacuum from the fuel line for the sake of passing inspection? Oh, and also I did pick up a canister from the junk yard (from a firebird) which looked identical to mine except for the part number (same brand and everything). The only physical difference I saw was a different selenoid...which I replaced with my old one, hoping that just at least having a different canister would help. I notice that the car stinks even more now tho....could it be backed up fumes finally freeing up due to a charcoal canister that isnt totally filthy? I'm not good with cars so forgive me if guesses sound totally dumb.:poke:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry one more thing, how can you tell if the canister is out of charcoal? When I shake my old one it sounds full of sand, and when I shake the one from the bone yard I hear something banging back and forth inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts