El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 87 Elco is an ECM removed car, running a AC delco HEI dist. on a Goodwrench 260 horse 350 with an Edlebrock 650 AVS Thunder Series carb and Performer RPM intake(dual plane manifold). It burns through PCV valves like nobody's business and when warmed up sits at about 200-210 on gauges, i think the carb is getting way too hot as well (extremely hot to the touch even after engine has been shut off for a while) right now has no PCV valve (has old school vented edelbrock valve covers) and leaks oil like a siv. anyone ever have troublewith a carb getting too hot and destroying PCV valves?:dontknow:

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Haven't had PCV go yet, but I have practically same set up on my 66. GMPP HEI, 350/290hp GMPP motor, 650 AVS on dual plane edelbrock performer.

I had trouble with restarts when warm.... the solution was a 1'' phenolic spacer for the carb. Not sure what that will do for your running temp???

What thermostat are you running?

What are the symptoms of your PCV going bad?

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
It did for the warm restart issues, I'm running a 180 thermostat, and dual electric fans.

I edited my previous post, so you may not have seen my edit....

What are the symptoms when your PCV goes bad?

I ask, cause I usually run 180 in town, on the local freeways but on a recent road trip with a couple of other elky owners, running about 80 mph most of the hour trip, my temp got close to 200 and it concerned me since I had never run over 180. Back in town and on freeways since the trip - I'm at back to 180 but the hot summer weather is still ahead. Motor has 2500 miles since it was installed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PCV symptoms: The engine will start to idle erradically and when you take out the valve the check ball will be completely lodged in the top of the valve allowing no vacuum to be passed through the hose. also it will start to leak oil (a very small puddle on the ground after parked)
this was when i was still running a PCV valve (i still need to if i don't want to do a full rebuild at 65k miles)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
about your are they putting out enough CFM? i've heard if you don't run a high enough CFM fan the engine can run hot or overheat if ran too long at too high RPM, don't know if that helps you at all

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried several different delco years, 87 all the way to 69 (i think). hmm i bet those have a higher vacuum tolerance, do they have a website?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
If you are running 200-210 on a 195 degree stat then nothing is wrong there that is totally an acceptable temp. I would remove the 195 stat and put in a 180 stat, the 195 temp is there primarily to achieve better emissions, which is clearly not your goal.

As for your PCV problem I'm at a loss, in 30 years I've never had issues with PCV systems, so I would say lets try to lower your temps first.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I'm running a 190 failsafe thermostat and you will run around 200 on the freeway at 80 mph no problem and my 87 has 300,000 on the block not rebuilt yet and I'm the original owner, in the city with air on it runs about 196 or less. Don't buy a cheap thermostat if you are PM me with your address and I will send you a cheap one I have 2- 185's and a 160 cheap o's and installed them maybe for a week and still have the boxes. I will ship it no charge but you will be replacing it before you know it I learned and get the rubber gasket it's all worth the extra $10.00 or so.:beer:

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome Austin..:texas:
when you were running the pcv,, did you have the other valve cover vented?? or pluged??

for the carb getting too hot,, if your still running manifolds??
check the efe valve in the pass side exhaust manifold.. see if its open/stuck??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts