El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has a misfire that caused it's HC emissions to be a little to high and it failed smog, the mechanic I took it to said he thinks the problem is the mixture control solenoid (when he disconnected it the car ran totally fine) but he doesn't have a guy that can work on it. He also says no one in Davis that he knows of does work on carbs anymore. Does anyone know a good carb repair place in the davis area? I feel like this is probably something I should have a professional do.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Send your CCC carburetor to Mountain Man Carburetor in Arkansas for a fix up and (rebuild if necessary). I know it sounds a long way off but they really know what they are doing. Better to pay once and get it done properly.

Peter

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
Not in your area but here's the best ask anyone here.
Mountain Man Fuel Systems. Hackett AR. 479-639-2022
You can get a rebuilt for $209.00 and send yours back after you install the new one.:nanawrench: They ship the next day.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,314 Posts
X3 on Mountain Man !! Mine runs great !!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Got my Mountain Man Quadrajet in yesterday.Will let you know how it runs

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks. I'll definitely check them out. I was hoping for somewhere more local, just for speed and convenience (my registration deadline already passed on 2/28 and I'm tired of walking in the rain) but it doesn't look like anyone around here works on the old q-jet anyway.

Carlfan, that would be great, based on everyones reviews i imagine it will run fine.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The local shop wants $269 for a rebuild plus the cost of anything that needs to be replaced, I don't really know if a full rebuild is required. I had it rebuilt last year. The car seems to have a misfire and the mechanic thinks it's due to the m/c solenoid, but no one will fix just that. It failed smog because the HC emissions were about 10 points too high at 25mph and right at the limit at 15mph, i'm wondering if I should just try and lean it out too see if it will pass then. But, I've heard running too lean can cause a misfire. I'm pretty stumped on this since I don't want to spend around $300 if I don't have to.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Call and talk to Ardell at Mountain Man Carbs. She or her husband can tell you what the problem is if you can describe it. They can overnight the part to you. I've had one of their rebuilt carbs on for 2 yrs now and it's still going strong. 5 Star service and they are nice folks.

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Did you fail HC's at idle or cruise speed? How were the CO's?
Unless you're talking about a "lean" misfire, a misfire and high HC's are usually ignition problems.
The fact that disconnecting the M/C solenoid smoothed out the misfire indicates a rough idle and therefore a lean misfire. Disconnecting the soleniod causes full rich mode. It sounds like the M/C solenoid has the ability to affect and change your air/fuel mixture and may be working off of bad input. "Garbage in, garbage out". If your sensors, most likely the O2 sensor, is providing bad data, the M/C solenoid will attempt to affect the mixture accordingly.
That is a lot of "ifs".
Feedback carburetors are the most mis-diagnosed component when it comes to smog failures.
If you send more details on the failure, ie, idle and high RPM readings, we may be able to close in on the real cause.
Just curious... was it a Test Only Smog Check station?... Stick with Gold Shield Stations for more reliable repairs.
Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For HC: It failed at 25mph, 82ppm with 72ppm as the max. At 15mph it measured 92 with a max of 92.

For CO: at 25mph it measured .30 with a max of .77 . At 15mph it measured .23 with a max of .61
For NO: at 25mph it measured 158 with a max of 784. At 15mph it measured 196 with a max of 760.

The gold shield station smogged it, but they don't do work on carburetors as of march 1st (also they wanted $200 just to diagnose it). A different shop in town that has a very good reputation diagnosed that as the most likely cause, they also do not work on carbs any longer. No one has said it is for sure the cause of the problem, just that it seems likely.

·
ZERO MPG
15,376 Posts
It took two day's to get mine from Mt. Man and that was 3rd day air. Installed it and sent mine back. Only had to adjust the idle. Probably didn't even have to do that.

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Yeah... the COs are a little high but they aren't way out there. If you were into the 1.0+ CO range, I would start suspecting a carb problem. You aren't that far off and with those CO readings I think your carb and the MC solenoid are doing their jobs. Way too difficult to diagnose over a keyboard BUT.. If I were a gambling man, and as long the engine seems to run right, I would put my money on a tired old cat!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the car seems to run fine, except for the the elevated HC levels and a misfire that people keep telling me about. Maybe I'll see if I qualify for CAP and just have them do whatever needs to be done?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
mountain man carb runs great . haven,t had a chance to check the fuel mileage yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts