El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to test Duplicolor's Vinyl/Fabric rattle can, I have heard great things about it and seen a lot of youtube videos. I'll clean a spare peice of trim I have really well and try the 3 light coats and see how it looks, leave it in the sun for a few days just to see how it fairs.
(I am thinking of black interior...In Florida....I know right?) I like the Stock Blue, what isnt faded anyhow but I don't know?
Black is just a nice color that I've always wanted for interior? Sexy I guess :inlove:
The carpet is in the WORST shape as far as my interior goes, but will the vinyl/fabric can work on my carpet and the "cloth" bench seat? I assume the top trim on the doors is vinyl, and so are the sides of the seats and their backing...looks like pleather or vinyl. It's just my interior is stock from 1986 and ergo, very old, and in desperate need of some TLC and a nice make-over. I am too broke to afford new carpet and new trim so PLEASE do not recomend that I just buy a new set of paneling in my desired color. I am a college kid, and I probably only have a few months until I ship out for BMT, so I guess I like the idea of getting this interior started this coming up weekend with a few cans in my driveway... rather than waiting for FedEx or UPS, etc to ship new parts anyhow. Any suggestions? So will it dye my carpet and cloth bench seats?
I chose black becuase it will likely RECOLOR the best. The pigment is just easier to darken.
Thanks for any advice in advance.:beer:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I used a upholstery fabric paint, it looked good and I got another year of use. If it was fair the paint fixed it (kinda crunchy for a while), if it was worn it made it break faster.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I've been told that if you use the vinyl paint/dye and then rub it down while it's still wet in the carpet it won't leave it brittle although I haven't tried it myself.What I have done and worked for me is the professional carpet dyes or tints for home carpet,like everything else the carpet has to be clean and I mean really clean(steam clean it till the waste water is clear for best results).I also have use RID clothing dye that you can get from the grocery store as your going darker in the same color or going black.When you mix the color up overkill on the mix the darker the better then put the dye in a spray bottle and saturate an area then brush it in(you want to push the dye all the way down in the carpet).Let the dye set for a little while but don't let it get completely dry before you repeat the process,you want to do this till you can't see the lighter color.If you are going black you will actually see a purple hue to it but when it dries it usually goes away when you take a dry terrycloth towel to after it is completely dry(this softens the carpet fibers and removes excess dye),after the toweling vacuum the heck out of it but keep in mind white socks will get stained for quite awhile afterwards.
This will not make the carpet new only revive the color and hopefully a cleaner appearance.Word of warning when I say saturate I don't mean standing water,you want just enough liquid dye to make it wet and no more as you know water causes rust so it's up to you,if you feel it's not covering after two or three saturations let it dry completely ,towel it down and vacuum it then repeat with the dye saturations again.I suggest you try it under the seat or somewhere where it can't be seen first to gauge it too see if this will work for you.
If you're changing from a red carpet and going to black even after six saturations in direct sunlight it still had a red cast to it but seemed good otherwise,the person I did it for was totally happy with the end result partly because the labor was free I think.(I put the dye on twice and then let it dry completely toweled it out then vacuumed it and then saturated twice more and let it dry then repeated step 2 for a total of six saturations).

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
In regard to black interiors, I had a '73 Chevelle with a black interior, and had to use gloves to touch the black steering wheel if the wheel was in the sun for a few hours on a hot summer day. Hot stuff...

Never tried dying a carpet. but did the door panels & plastic trim with dye & paint, from NPD. I believe it was their own brand. This was originally a beige interior.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is food for thought, I wear driving gloves becuase I was a street racer back in highschool anyways, but maybe sticking with the OEM blue and simply redoing it all would serve me better.
looked like this without the console and a bench seat instead of buckets
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=1986...171&ndsp=54&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:255&tx=99&ty=49

It was nice to see that picture Steely. I was worried the paint would "look" like crap. I'll look into NPD and the ulposhtry and house carpet dyes recomended by everyone tonight. Thank you all again.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heya there Joe! You are always so helpful:beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts