El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is time for me to purchase new carpet for my 81 Elco. I see many on EbayMotors. I don't want to buy the cheapest but don't want to pay too much for something that may or may not be any better than the cheap ones either. I really do not need the really fancy just good. Also I have some heat / sound layer I was going to put on the floor and then put the carpet in. So question two is, if the carpet has jute will I need the under layment? If I do want the additional heat / sound protection will a carpet with jute fit over the underlaymetn?

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,309 Posts
Best I can say from what I've read on here over a few years is to google up Stock Interiors for your carpet. They should be able to answer your questions about underlayment too.

:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Well it is time for me to purchase new carpet for my 81 Elco. I see many on EbayMotors. I don't want to buy the cheapest but don't want to pay too much for something that may or may not be any better than the cheap ones either. I really do not need the really fancy just good. Also I have some heat / sound layer I was going to put on the floor and then put the carpet in. So question two is, if the carpet has jute will I need the under layment? If I do want the additional heat / sound protection will a carpet with jute fit over the underlaymetn?

I don't know how your old carpet looks but take a look at this before buying new carpet. I did this for about $10.00 the last pictures are really the first when I started.

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/1987ELCAMINO/slideshow/INTERIOR

http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/HKDUP87/slideshow/PEEL AND SEAL

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know how your old carpet looks but take a look at this before buying new carpet. I did this for about $10.00 the last pictures are really the first when I started.

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/1987ELCAMINO/slideshow/INTERIOR

http://s1135.photobucket.com/user/HKDUP87/slideshow/PEEL AND SEAL
I wish I could go that route. However I do not have a carpet at all. It was way beyond recognition of anything anybody would ever call a carpet. Great job on yours though.

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Premium Member
799 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have a '71 and bought my kit from OPGI for about 175 bucks. I didn't put down any dynamat. I just fixed the floors. and laid down some trunk splatter paint that I picked up at O'Rilleys.

All in all I think it came out pretty good.

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts
Hey, HKDUP87

What is that stuff?
Where do you get it?
How much does it cost?
get it at auto zone or Lowes purple power or purple magic?

I used purple power and a carpet cleaner. For the leather seats I use lemon juice and baking soda mixed in water the scrubbing bubbles is a once a year deep clean only if needed.

on the carpet I first hung it on a 6 foot fence and sprayed the hell out of it with the hose and while still on the fence I sprayed purple power then scrubbed it with a brush and rinsed it out till no more foam came out then used the carpet cleaner and attachments to get the stains out then let it dry. you only see so much of the carpet that's the areas you want the cleanest,

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,749 Posts
I bought a set from OPGI for my Caballero and, I'm not happy, at all, with the fit. It must be some generic thing they have and it doesn't fit well around the forward part of the hump.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just installed my ACC carpet and I got it from ebay for 130 it fit great looked even better and had the mass backing on it.
I ended up going with ACC. I am glad to hear that you had a good experience with them. Now for the second part of the question. If I wanted additional heat/sound would it still fit or should I just use the jute what it comes with and call it good?

·
ZERO MPG
15,379 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just recenltry bought a carpet made my ACC from opgi, and it fit pretty well, i also installed one of those rubber sound deadners. the fit wasnt factory. i tried installing it myself and i wish i had done a few things differently. for example. i wish i had installed the seats prior to cutting the carpet. because the carpet didnt form 100%, when i went to put the seats in(buckets), they pulled the carpet from the door sills and i now have an anoying gap because i cut the carpet first. set the seats and then do the cutting. biggest mistake of my weekend. good luck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just recenltry bought a carpet made my ACC from opgi, and it fit pretty well, i also installed one of those rubber sound deadners. the fit wasnt factory. i tried installing it myself and i wish i had done a few things differently. for example. i wish i had installed the seats prior to cutting the carpet. because the carpet didnt form 100%, when i went to put the seats in(buckets), they pulled the carpet from the door sills and i now have an anoying gap because i cut the carpet first. set the seats and then do the cutting. biggest mistake of my weekend. good luck.
That is a great piece of advise. Thank you so much for that money saving cost. Because I can tell you that even though the carpet cost 130.00 I would have bought a new one if I had done that. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well after a few hours, I wanted to get if done correctly and I just may be a tad ODC :), I got the heat/sound barrier installed. I got my carpet and it came with jute but I decided to do the under lay anyway. The carpet fit like a champ. Actually it laid better after I put the barrier down that it did when I first dry fitted the carpet without out it. Whatever one uses i suggest some sound/heat barrier.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.