El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the heater core on my '72. The leak ruined the carpet. I pulled the carper up and thers was insulation(?). This was a black color possibly due to the heater leak. The insulation on the driver side looked blue and beige, dirty with age. There looks like there is something between the insulation and the floor pan. What is it? On the passenger side it soaked up the coolant also. What's the best way to remove this? Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
I remember I pulled the carpet up on my 70 chevelle a couple of years ago to look at the floors and there was dark brown insulation on the floor pans. Under some on the drivers side was one of the build sheets to the car which is now kind of a dark brown color from the insulation. Kind of hard to read but I found a mint one behind the rear seat. Anyways that might be what you see?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks just like tar. Scrape it up and replace it with what. This is my first attempt an interior restoration. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
its called "jute", they also sell fiberglass sheets that go under the carpet also. you can get the undercarpet insulation at the el camino store online, or any of the other resto parts places.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Here's a dry piece in the upper right hand corner if you wanted to see it dry? To me it looks like all the leftovers from a sewing factory compressed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks just like tar. Scrape it up and replace it with what. This is my first attempt an interior restoration. Thanks.
Most new carpet kits will come with the jute attached to the bottom side, but I would consider doing what HKDUP did with his. The whole thread is HERE, but basically what he did (and what I just did as well) is use some tar backed aluminum foil on the floor boards to absorb vibration and foam to muffle other road noise. It'll be ~$100 more to put this in than just carpet, but it makes a huge difference with the noise level inside the cab.

If that doesn't turn you on, you should be able to get by with just buying a new carpet kit. Might call first and make sure the jute insulation is attached to the bottom.

Good luck!

-Steffen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts