El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a friend retiring from scene offer me a case of original r12 for cheap. Thought I needed it for car.found out today it's converted to 134-a so I don't need. Should I still get in order to pass on to folks who need an area? Is there demand for it from us on this site? I don't want to make profit,just help fellow elcamino owners. But I also don't want to be stuck with this stuff in my shed for the rest of my life.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
5,283 Posts
my thought is why bother. as old as the r-12 systems are they probably leak at this time. converting to r-134a is not that expensive relatively speaking.
about the only way to make sure you don't get stuck with it is to sell it at a swap meet. otherwise....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my thought is why borrow. as old as the r-12 systems are they probably leak at this time. converting to r-134a is not that expensive relatively speaking.
about the only way to make sure you don't get stuck with it is to sell it at a swap meet. otherwise....
I agree. if I can't help others with their need of it,why get stuck with it? I'm not interested in making a profit, I would only double my money which isn't a lot, and the work involved to do that just isn't worth it. Hate to tell friend I don't want, as he has helped me with many other parts. But why pay to take up space in garage for rest of my life.? Thanks for input.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can typically find someone offering R-12 on Craigslist or E-bay for around $30 a can, so it's not particularly rare. I think the sellers are having a harder time finding buyers, so the price hasn't gone up over the past ten years, so the same cans keep getting offered up on Craigslist without anyone biting on them. Therefore, I don't think there is a big need to stock up on it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can typically find someone offering R-12 on Craigslist or E-bay for around $30 a can, so it's not particularly rare. I think the sellers are having a harder time finding buyers, so the price hasn't gone up over the past ten years, so the same cans keep getting offered up on Craigslist without anyone biting on them. Therefore, I don't think there is a big need to stock up on it.
Agreed. But fun factt r-12 that is offered in web is usually manufactured in Mexico,or elsewhere, and is not orig r12. Its a mix of butane/propane/134-a. Only a.c.techs realize deception. Always read chemical labels is the lesson I guess. So to a.c. techs who prefer r12 for its superior cooling properties/low operating pressure,longevity of compressor, its worth ots weight in gold. But to mainstream ,like me,it's useless, and not worth space it takes up in our cramped workspace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts