El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any catalogs that sell a cat back exhaust (possibly dual) for the 80's series Elky's. I couldn't seem to find one in Jeg's.
Also, with just a cat back dual, do you need to modify the cross member?

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
You might want to check out http://www.geocities.com/gforcejohn/ they have the crossmember you will need if you want to do it right and they sell a dual exhaust setup. I don't know anyone that has used the exhaust but it looks like a good setup. I have the crossmember in my Elky and it is one beefy unit. I did powder coat mine black before install.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Digity said:
Are there any catalogs that sell a cat back exhaust (possibly dual) for the 80's series Elky's. I couldn't seem to find one in Jeg's.
The link for G-Force has a Cat Back system for your year model. They do sell the Dual Exhaust crossmember also. I have one on my 80. I found out later that if you go to a bone yard and look under a 73 or eariler Chevells you'll find a dual hump, assuming no one took it already, crossmember that will fit.

I also changed from the 350 Thd Transmission to a 700R4 so G-Force was a better deal anyway. They sell the crossmember for that conversion. It mounts 5" back further than the 350.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Check out the El Camino cat-back exhausts that Torque Tech sells.
http://www.torquetechexh.com/gmgcat-backapplications.htm

No, you don't have to modify the crossmember. The exhaust splits after the cat.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I installed a DYNOMAX catback system for a MONTE SS in my '85. The muffler shop only had to lengthen the pipe exiting the converter by about 4-5". A very clean install.

·
Banned
881 Posts
elmpala said:
I installed a DYNOMAX catback system for a MONTE SS in my '85.
I put the Dynomax cat-back system on my 86 MCSS. It's a nice fitting system. I've seen it on a few 78-83 Malibu also.

Did you have to swap in the MCSS Y-pipe and cat with the 2X3" 4-bolt flange into your Elky too? The Dynomax cat-back system for the MCSS won't fit on a standard El Camino cat.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I ended up using Edelbrock TES headers withe 4 bolt flange. I had a four bolt flange made for me that I was going to weld onto my stock Y pipe but never had to use it with the Edelbrock headers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The gforce crossmembers good, but MTS sells the same thing, 40$ cheaper. same setup, im ordering it today i'll get pics when it comes...as far as dual exhaust, if your not putting headers on it wont be true dual so it splits after the cat...crossmember should not be in the way atall... just a word of warning, meineke told me 700 for splitting after the cat...so if you ahvea friend who can do it for you, take that route much cheaper.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Mellman99 said:
The gforce crossmembers good, but MTS sells the same thing, 40$ cheaper.
It's not the same thing. MTS only makes one double-hump crossmember to go into a G-body. It was originally designed to work with a Caddy TH400. I called MTS to ask them about it and I was told their crossmember will work with most GM transmissions with a bit of "tweaking". You will have to drill new holes in the frame to mount the crossmember forward or backward depending on the length of the tranny you are using. I was told it will not work with the 200-4R. The MTS price is $189 plus shipping ($10).

The last crossmember I bought from crossmembers.com cost me $211 delivered. I've bought the RC350, the RC200/400, and the RC700 crossmembers and all of them fit perfectly without any tweaking. I'd rather buy something that was specifically made for my application and just "bolts-in" rather than "tweak" a one-size-fits-all product.

·
Registered
105 Posts
yah he said it should work but the more i think about it the more i think id like the gforce...just cause it bolts right in grr lets see if i can cancel this order....haha oh well...all the times ive cursed off UPS for their late pickup times...slow deilvery...this time im thankin em, they dont pickup till 5 so i was able to cancel the order. thanks for that extra input, the more i got to thinking, the more i realized i already was in for a TON of work on my car just to fit the headers in.....i'd rather just have the crossmembers bolt right up, besides, TH350 is a strong tranny and it should handle a biggger built engine pretty well for street strip in bout 4 years, i can always rebiuld it....as always you guys have been great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts