El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do my exhaust this weekend....im pondering putting on flanges on my cats, so i can swap em out when i hit the strip...or just when i dont need to pass emissions :)

what are your guys thoughts on this....would a stock 305...posibly with intake/carb/cam see any major benefits out of this? would it be worth the trouble(yes trouble) to weld on the flanges to the cat and pipe....the TROUBLE part is that the cat is a different OD then the pipe i'd be connecting it to....so basically summit has several different ideas of what 2 1/4" pipe is...grrr :evil: :evil: :evil: boy was i pissed when i pulled the calipers out to find that....any suggestions PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Banned
881 Posts
Be kind to the enviroment and weld the cats in place. It's not worth all the trouble to do what you're proposing. You'll see no improvement in performance without cats on a stock 305.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
492 Posts
well, ive found the thing to do is take off the converter and hollow it out with a crow bar, or whatever is handy, then put the hollow cat in place an weld. then it looks like you are not breaking any laws, at all....

·
Registered
481 Posts
You could always get a high flow cat, i think summit and jegs sells them.

·
Banned
881 Posts
motorbreth said:
well, ive found the thing to do is take off the converter and hollow it out...
That should not be encouraged in this forum.

The federal "Clean Air Act" prohibits the removal or rendering inoperable of a vehicle’s catalytic converter or any other emission control component. Generally, a vehicle’s emission control system, including the catalytic converter and any other design element of the system, may not be changed from the EPA-certified engine/chassis configuration without violating tampering prohibitions. All such emission control elements may not be removed and replaced by any service or repair facility, or by any private individual, unless the replacement part is designed to perform the same emission control function as the original part.

Should an individual and/or a service and repair facility be found in violation of federal clean air regulations by illegally tampering with vehicle emission control systems, the penalties are up to $2,500 per violation for individuals and dealerships can be penalized up to $25,000 per violation.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
481 Posts
The Judge has spoken. :p Ouch! 8O

·
Registered
492 Posts
i work in a chevy dealership and am aware, of the tree huggin hippe laws of the epa. i was just telling him an option i know of. if you do not agree with it and that is fine. he probobly doesnt either, but he asked a question and i gave him an answer, but dont think that im ignorant of the law. i know the law, i know the fines. and my converter is intact an on my car. one of the mechanics in my shop told me about this option and i took it into consideration.

·
Registered
492 Posts
also i just looked in the state inspection book, and converters are only required on cars after 1984. i have an 82. i have a converter but now that i know i dont have to have it im taking it off.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My impression after talking to several national chain muffler shops is that the requirement for a cat is a Federal law, not a state law. When Oklahoma eliminated inspection stations and the associated emission checks I eliminated the computer during my engine upgrade and wanted to delete the cat. I ended up installing a free flow cat.

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
I only have one comment...The Braves are down 1 in the ninth, doh!

Today's cat's are much better free flowing than originally designed for your vechicle...put them on and be done with it. If you're that concerned...have cutouts installed for race days...just a thought.

·
Registered
492 Posts
hmm... i work at a dealership and i looked at the inspection "rule book" and it said that they are only required on 84 and up. so i dont know... mine doesnt work any way, thats why i want to take it off. not sure. i just dont know what to think any more.... o just finished putting on air shocks. so im happy...and tired.

·
1,867 Posts
Having a cat. on any car that originally came with one is a federal law. If you are not in a emmisions county than they ussually do not worry about it. If I am not mistaken Caminos after 74 have cats. The guy that I take my cars to said that my 78 will be exempt after next year. Union County NC, but I will still keep my aftermarket cat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My understanding on Fed vs State is that the presence of the cat on the new vehicle and the emissions warrany are Fed requirements, but the annual safety / emissions inspections are a State matter.

This is why (at a minimum) Fed emissions are on all new vehicles, but state-to-state you range from annual to semiannual to no inspections. States where the EPA has brought the hammer down need to establish an emissions program, but that's a special case, and even there the details of implementation are up to the state so long as they meet the requirements.

So, it depends on your state's laws. In NC, the most recent incarnation of the law uses age as the exemption from tailpipe sniffing, so it slides up every year. HOWEVER, a new tweak is a sentence that appears to indicate that there is supposed to be a physical presence inspection for all of the OEM emissions equipment, including cat, air injection, EGR, etc. for ALL vehicles, regardless of year of manufacture.

·
1,867 Posts
The emmisions guy I use said that NC drops a year every other year. Last year it was 77 so next year its 78. He told me he would just inspect safety eq. like lights & horn. etc. I will keep the cat but the vapor canister & its hoses has got to go.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If your so worried about the environment, its time to get a car with a 4 banger and put that gas guzzling V8 to rest.....

...or give it to me :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you really want to get as close as possible to a free flowing system get a catalytic converter from Random Technology. They are Number one when it comes to free flowing cats...a little pricey but if you are worried about all that stuff go with them..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts