El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
They shed a lot of heat. Your vehicle will need shielding close to the catalytic converters.

Why do you need it?

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don’t “need” them. Just trying to be a bit more environmentally conscious. Hadn’t thought about the heat. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
What year of vehicle? Does it or did it once upon a time have a modern powertrain control module (PCM)? To get much life out of the platinum & palladium beads in your new catalytic converter, you need something like a PCM to keep tight control over the richness of your fuel mixture - done via feedback from one or more oxygen sensors.

If it goes too rich, I think it'll either broil or poison the beads. Hence, the reason for a Check Engine Light in modern vehicles and the stern warning in the owners manual to seek servicing quickly.

Rick

·
Registered
227 Posts
thinking of putting converters on my ‘69. Any thoughts?
I'm doing the same thing. I have the Holley Sniper fuel injection in mine and the guy who tuned it told me cats would be fine and would not get quickly burnt out unless something changes drastically with the tune.

The reason is simple, they are cheap and make the car not smell as much. They will rob me of maybe a couple horsepower, but nothing I could ever feel. I always wonder why people take them off? Do people like smelling like exhaust?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm doing the same thing. I have the Holley Sniper fuel injection in mine and the guy who tuned it told me cats would be fine and would not get quickly burnt out unless something changes drastically with the tune.

The reason is simple, they are cheap and make the car not smell as much. They will rob me of maybe a couple horsepower, but nothing I could ever feel. I always wonder why people take them off? Do people like smelling like exhaust?
I thought I was the only one that hated that. But I do indeed hate getting cleaned up and if I forget having to mess with getting the older vehicles running in a closed garage. The door will be open but if much time at all spent in there with the car running you smell like exhaust and I can't stand that. I do my best now if we are going to get them started up and out of the garage and outside before going to clean up.

·
Registered
433 Posts

Catalytic converters don't remove exhaust smells and aren't cheap. A failing catalytic converter smells awful like sulfur and rotten eggs. The main purpose of catalytic converters is to reduce harmful nitrogen oxides by separating the molecules into nitrogen and oxygen. The nitrogen is trapped within the converter, while the oxygen passes through. If you want to reduce harmful emissions try to increase your MPG.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Catalytic converters don't remove exhaust smells and aren't cheap. A failing catalytic converter smells awful like sulfur and rotten eggs. The main purpose of catalytic converters is to reduce harmful nitrogen oxides by separating the molecules into nitrogen and oxygen. The nitrogen is trapped within the converter, while the oxygen passes through. If you want to reduce harmful emissions try to increase your MPG.
That's not true at all. They definitely do clean up the smell of the cars exhaust. And yes, failing cats do have smell. Hardly seems like a reason to not install them.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
If you achieve a truly clean and somewhat lean stochiometric ratio, you won’t have the fuel smell. To do that, you need a mildish cam and a well tuned carburetor. You very likely can have it with a well sorted q-jet. Holley? Maybe. Edelbrock? Probably not. (The only carbs that have run truly nice AND lean (no fuel smell) for me are Rochesters, and a cam swap made my good running qjet smell rich). I do know that a fat mixture will kill converters (and aftermarket carbs are often rich). Then the stink changes from raw fuel to rotten eggs.
Patrick

·
Registered
39 Posts
You'll have to run EFI with an 02 sensor to make it live.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts