El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had a new carpet installed and the installer cut and removed my CB antenna cable! I had it run to a "splitter" that allowed me to use my AM/FM antenna as a CB antenna along with the radio. I have a 1984 Conquista.

I'd like to replace the splitter, but have been reading online that those splitters can damage the CB. I had no problem with my CB until recently and am now wondering if the problem could have been caused by the splitter. I have since replaced my CB with an identical Craig CB that I found on eBay.

Has anyone had any experiences using an antenna splitter or can someone recommend a good one?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
165 Posts
You might check your local parts store, I was just talkin to a guy at my parts plus I go to, he said theyve got some dual antennas, you might look into that.

I was actually at the junk yard last weekend and there was a '75 coupe DeVill ther that still had the factory 8 track player, which had a GM factory CB radio! Never seen one before, but the bd went throught the radio sound, pretty cool.
Anyway, There was actually a antenna splitter in there.
So, you might check your wreck yards too.
just a thought, but you could always try some of the bigger truck stops too.

·
Registered
532 Posts
keep in mind that to work properly your cb needs 18 foot of good coax cable and a decent antenna, a radio antenna just isn't up to the task and could possibly burn out the finals in your cb radio.(im one of those that still run a cb :) ) i would stay away from splitters, every connection you make loses some signal, you can buy coax cable at any truck stop(ie pilot) or radio shack electronics stores ect and the carpet installer would be removing the carpet and installing my new coax cable pro bono, or i would feel it necessary to put a size 12 in his backside. GL

·
Registered
367 Posts
take it to a cb shop and let them look at it. every time i get in a different truck i have to take mine to get it set to the vehicle (swr's and and the minimum new piece of coax because the factory coax is junk). i've been told that it's not the radio but the coax and antenna thats important. good luck:beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts