El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam not the leader type so ill make this short and sweet, i live in california around the modesto area and i have never seen an el camino meet or a chevy meet for that matter. iam requesting that someone put one on here in cali. if anyone else is interested in doing the same let me know and we can go from there. i have never hosted one of these so i have no idea on what to do as far as setting this up, that is why iam suggesting that someone else put this on.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Hope this happens, Mike. While you're at it, I hope the Northern California owners can find someone to volunteer to be the NECOA Region-18 Director. This covers N. Calif. and N. Nevada.

Best of luck. I'll be glad to correspond with anyone who wants some input on what's usually required to hold a "meet".

-dan

·
Registered
492 Posts
Wow, that would be a huge tast. Your right about a Chevy event being a cool happening. I would love to see one in Central California so both the North and South can meet in a central spot so we would not have to drive 500 miles to get there. I think there is just one Chevy show each year in California and it's way down south in the LA area.

The size of something like this would be bigger than you think, and the cost factor even bigger. You would need a huge space for it and all the other factors that come with any local event. Advertising, insurance, police control, sponcers etc.

Now just a local El Camino/Chevelle "club" meet would be a lot fewer in numbers and maybe able to pull that off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is a couple of places that it could be held at around her one is in stockton at the fair grounds and the other would be the turlock fair grounds the cool part about both of those places is they are both near the freeway and well marked on how to get there from the freeway both can hold a lot of cars if parked correctly if anyone knows how to organize one of these let me know, i think it would only have to be el caminos/chevelles like 70elco said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So-Cal

i live out in So-Cal if theres ever a show down here please let me know, that would be great to go down and get some pics of some great cars and check out what i could do to mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Central Calif Meet

I'm new to the group and would like to become more involved. Since I "only" have a Caballero, I hope I qualify for membership, even if it's only on the back bench.
I can help in some way if a meet is put together. Sorry if I screwd up this post, it may take awhile to figure out how to participate in this forum. You know how backward we Caballero owners are!

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Welcome, robucko!

Caballero and Sprint owners do not take a back seat on ECC and in the NECOA. You are a full-fleged, non-dues paying member will full rights to the enjoyment we all find here!

Come on in, the water's fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how

so does any one know how to go about getting an el camino meet going i would say all chevy but somthing like that would be to massive. i want to get one schuled for next spring. i want to try and get a little cruse in to but for right now i just want to get the meet going, and i need some help

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Here's the story of how one annual cruise-in was started:

"In 1992 Bob White, the owner of Graffiti Alley in Eugene Oregon wanted to celebrate the first anniversary of his store in a different way. On the spur of the moment he created a cruise-in by calling several of the local car clubs and numerous friends to a get together at an empty lot on River Road. A local radio station was brought in to organize a last minute promotional campaign and MC the event. The following year Bob was introduced to Bill deGroot, marketing manager of Guaranty Chevrolet in Junction City, to help sponser the River Road Cruise-In. Bill made a deal with Bob that he would help with the marketing if Bob would help with an idea of Bills. He wanted to have Bob help him organize an evening cruise in downtown Junction City. This would grow to become the Function in Junction.

Every year the two events organized by Bob, Bill and a number of volunteers, grew more popular. In the first years the Function in Junction was an "open" cruise; everybody could come and participate, new and old cars, classics and hotrods. Anything goes. Because of its growing popularity and growing cost, this was no longer an event that could be run on a shoestring budget. A non-profit corporation was organized in 1999 as the Function in Junction. The River Road Cruise-in on the other hand remained under Bob's control. A board of directors took control and decided to change the event into a closed cruise for registered vehicles of 1972 and older. The first year of the cruise was a great success, far beyond the organizers' wildest dreams and expectations.

The following years were used to establish a proper and smooth organization so that the event could be enjoyed by as many as possible while maintaining the highest level of safety. The board was obligated to come up with new means of generating revenue to cover its growing expenses. Since the Function in Junction Association was a non-profit organization and the River Road Cruise-In was business related to Graffiti Alley it seemed a better idea to separate the two events and let each go their separate way. The Function in Junction owes a lot to all the efforts and dedication that Bob White has given, without him we wouldn't be where we are today. Bob resigned from the board of the Function in Junction October 2002.

Since that time the board has teamed up with the Junction City High School and is organizing the Function in Junction as an independent community event."

·
Registered
11 Posts
:) Live in Riverbank and would be willing to help. Used to do lots of meets when I was in Corvette club. Never put one on but don't think its that tough. My car is down right now but coming back fast as in powered by ls1 8) . Think we used to use lots of public parks for meets. Unless you have members in the 100's probably lots of places to do it for free but allways takes entry fees for poker runs, plaques, tshirts etc. Think we signed a liability waiver when we did entries.

Gary

J

·
0 Posts
I'm a new proud owner of a 85 conquista. :) After 30 yeras of waiting! Once I saw that there was not a CA/NV chairman my wife said "no way, you have too much to do and can not do it." She did not say I could not help set-up a rally this year. It's time CA/NV got together and put the power of the internet to make a name for ourselves. The idea of a fair ground is a perfect location as long as we have the numbers to support it. And the central valley is the best location for all residents to gather. We need to get a poll going to see what kind of number could be generated and then find out what the fair grounds will charge us.
Event sponser will be gladly want to be there to take our money along with venders for food and sale us car supplies ect.
We could have a few small local north, south CA / NV meets then see what happens and make them came together at the end of the year for a mass rally to see if it is worth it?

Who's up to the challenge?
Jon from Fremont

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi Jon,

Welcome!

I'm also up in the Northern California, San Francisco Bay Area. If it were not for my working on weekends I would of loved to have jumped in on the CA/NV chairman spot. Saying that I am still willing to help out all I can. Keep me in mind if there is anything I can do. I'm also in the east bay just east of Concord.

Keep in touch and you are welcome to message me here or e-mail me anytime at [email protected]

Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
Agreed - Central Valley is he most logical spot to meet. There is a big Swapmeet next weekend(1/24-25) at the Turlock Fairgounds that is always a big event. See you there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Turlock Swap Meet

I plan on going there, its only 15 miles for me. Has to be Sunday for me as have to go work on Sat. Hope to find some spacers for wheels reasonable ( yea right ). There is a car show that takes place down by Merced at a park on a lake where I used to go every year when I was member of vette club. Have a friend that goes still perhaps that would be a good place for get together. Don't think that you have to pay for anything other than park entrance. Great place for poker runs, out in the country. Easy to get to. Think fairgrounds are gonna cost more than I would want to guarantee up front. Think that getting donations from very many vendors on first year is gonna be tough also. Every year runs that stay the same build volume and it becomes easier to get vendor participation $$$$. Think Mothers car care are good vendors for donations for goody bags, catalogues from Year one, etc. Or there is allways the strip up in Sacramento, heh heh can allways run the cars through the traps for a little distraction. Lots of parks around and think most of them see little use except for holiday weekends. Plan on 50/50 raffle for some bucks to bank for next years start. Late April early May is still not too hot in Central Valley. Would like to help. Gary

·
Registered
16 Posts
84 ELKY305SS

Dude you have the most kick @#$ pic under your user name but any ways do you know when there will be a car show in the Los Angeles CA area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in Delano 30 min. north of Bakersfield. My elco is down and it won't be running until next year hopefully but I'll be willing to help or something.

·
Registered
152 Posts
james84elky

Come on Guys Lets get it togather..... Lets put on a show , any place we can. as a proud owner of a good looking elky, I as well as all the rest of you all Im sure want to show of our rides too.

I live in Pittsburg CA very close to the valley and in he East Bay area. There are a lot of Elky's running around here where I live. I am willling to print up flyers and put them out for all to attend. WE CAN DO THIS !!!

Here's an Idea?? maybe we can start up chapters of NECOA and have regular meets. Why not ????

GO YE INTO ALL THE WORLD AND SPREAD THE WORD "" LETS HAVE A SHOW""

Count me in.....

james84elky
[email protected]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: james84elky

James84elky said:
Here's an Idea?? maybe we can start up chapters of NECOA and have regular meets. Why not ????
That sounds like a very good idea.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
That is a good idea. The NECOA is structured to support local chapters. Contact John Harris for guidelines. John's e-mail-- [email protected]
If you can't get John, e-mail me for info.
-dan (San Diego native, Half Moon Bay fan, did time at Treasure Island and know that NAPA is not just an auto parts store) :)

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Count me in!
I've been wondering if us No. Cal guys would ever stand up and be recognized. A local chapter sounds great.
It's always hard to get a bunch of gearheads together on anything, except the fact that their own ride is superior.
Let's get a head count on who's interested.

SOUND OFF.... One...

SHARP71

1 - 20 of 38 Posts