El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking on YouTube on ceramic coating headers and it looks like an easy job. Using TVT high temp paint and the oven from what I see comes out nice. Has anybody done their own and how is it holding up? $200.00 TO HAVE IT DONE OR A COUPLE CANS OF TVT HIGH TEMP PRIMER AND PAINT $30.00.
Is a job like this you get what you pay for? I don't want to be repainting these headers. I know they need to be prepped first to be done correct.

What is your experience with doing it yourself at home not a paint shop just with rattle cans and an oven!!!!!!

Also does anybody know where to get aircraft paint remover it comes in spray cans but mine never came. You spray it on and it starts bubbling up and the paint just dissolves :beer:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
If you send them to Jet hot, or someone else, you don't have to mess with cleaning them.
You get them back coated inside and out, done deal.:texas:

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,953 Posts
You get a $30.00 Paint job !! The other coating will keep the high temps from the headers down & You don't have to wait hours for them to cool off before working around them ! :dontknow:

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you want to do them one time and one time only, you're better off paying a good company to do them, you get what you pay for. Headers get beat up so bad with extreme temps, condensation and rust so they really need a durable finish. I've always painted my own headers, but never used an oven. The oven might make all the difference. I've never been able to keep paint on headers, they always end up rusting at some point.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you send them to Jet hot, or someone else, you don't have to mess with cleaning them.
You get them back coated inside and out, done deal.:texas:
Cool I will check them out. I've always been you get what you pay for but there's always an exception so you never know unless you ask.

just saw this what the hell it's only $2.00 to try and you catch a legal buzz and it really works just cover the carb. that's where the smoke came out of mine and covering it gives a little better seal to find small leaks.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
Also does anybody know where to get aircraft paint remover it comes in spray cans but mine never came. You spray it on and it starts bubbling up and the paint just dissolves :beer:
I got a can at O'Reilly auto. They have aerosal and brush on. I brushed the roof of EC and the paint came off.

·
0 Posts
Id get a pro to coat them. I paid 250.00 to get mine done and it was totally worth it. They look the same 3 years later. When I first got them,they shined like chrome and then changed the to ceramic coated look. Its almost the same color as my intake and it matched the color on my valve covers. If I were you,I would get them coated in chrome so they pop out when you raise the hood.

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
Robert here in Tx Wall-Mart sells Aircraft paint stripper.
Don't know about Cali.
One more reason to live in TEXAS.:texas:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I had a guy bring me a brand new set of Super Comps for his 90 454SS truck wrapped,I installed them, and they rusted out in 6 months. Read the fine print on the headers, and it will say no warranty if you wrap them.
Spend the money and be done. You can get this stuff at Harley dealers, maybe other places, called Luster Lace, It's like Mothers on a shoe sting, and they will polish like chrome!:texas::beer:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
go ralph go

I had a guy bring me a brand new set of Super Comps for his 90 454SS truck wrapped,I installed them, and they rusted out in 6 months. Read the fine print on the headers, and it will say no warranty if you wrap them.
Spend the money and be done. You can get this stuff at Harley dealers, maybe other places, called Luster Lace, It's like Mothers on a shoe sting, and they will polish like chrome!:texas::beer:
look at ol ralph throwing out tips and tricks like a old pro :You_Rock:
ya can also try navel jelly for chrome(army navy store sells it):beer:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I recommend the Jet Hot coating. About ten years ago I bought two sets if Jet Hot coated Hookers. They went on my two 64 Elkos (one recently sold by the name Ginger. All these years later and there is very minimal surface rust in a few spots. It is hard to get anything to last that long.
Wrapping headers results in having a pile of rusted out pipes. It helps performance on many race machines but won't last too long on a street driven cruck.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,683 Posts
You will get a $30 job and the rust to go with it. Ceramic coat them by a good shop and you will be glad. I have done 4 sets 2 new pairs of swap meet specials and re coated 2 sets for restoration cars. I have factory C coated Super Comps from Hooker on my BB, they are the second set of them on this car the first were on for 17 years I re-powered and figured they should be pretty thin wrong they were like new and I polished them and sold them for $300 after 17 years, I should have re coated them but I had the new ones for a while. For everyone don't by the small tube cheaper Hooker headers coated or otherwise they rust away just not as good as their Super Comps and Customs.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O.k. what's the coating I should get for a daily driver.

JET HOT:nanawrench:
http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/

Coating Definitions
Jet-Hot Extreme 1300
Jet-Hot Extreme 2000
Jet-Hot Extreme 2500
Jet-Hot Slick Coat
Jet-Hot Guardian

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,048 Posts
rattlecan ceramic paint - IS NOT the same stuff the pros put on - not even remotely. Get them jet hot or equivelant coated and never have to worry about them again, rattlecan them and they wont last. Just get the 1300 its all you need

·
Supporting Member
4,526 Posts
I had mine done locally by a powder coating company. Maybe just a little cheaper than JetHot, but at least with JetHot you know they are used to working on headers and have the correct formula. Worth getting them coated to reduce under hood temps.

By the way, if you use your kitchen oven, you may have food that tastes like paint for a long time.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I had mine done locally by a powder coating company. Maybe just a little cheaper than JetHot, but at least with JetHot you know they are used to working on headers and have the correct formula. Worth getting them coated to reduce under hood temps.

By the way, if you use your kitchen oven, you may have food that tastes like paint for a long time.
I only use the oven twice a year for turkey only!!!! BBQ NO WIFE:poke: NO FAST FOOD ONLY ONCE IN AWHILE.

I'm going to send them like everything else pay up front or do it again.
tHANKS

·
0 Posts
Get those bad boys coated so we can see what they look like! Can't wait to see em under that clean engine bay!:nanawrench:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts