El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Elly Girl, That's what I did had to put trust in a shop here. Pulled out the 305 and dropped a 350 in my 1980 Caballero. Total cost having Marshall put it in cost just under $4,400.00 And I too have a Holly Carb. Also have headers on my car so I love the sound now with the new engine. Good Luck. Michael in SOuth Boston, Va.

·
Registered
274 Posts
A mild 350 will work with all your stock components... anything too racey and you'll need to upgrade basically everything else including trans and rear end ...I'm Running a mild 350, non computer controlled quadrajet, vacuum advanced distributor .BUT ..The old computer command control system is awesome for fuel economy .. if yours STILL works

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
If you're still looking for an option. I changed out my 305 for a Vortec 350 and put a Fitech fuel injection system on it. Worked out great. It should bolt up to your trans without any problem. Mine was a 2004r. The Vortec 350 has more hp than the crate 350's from Jegs and elsewhere. Great low end torque as well. A good all around motor. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Would something like this be in the budget?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You might talk to him to see if you can go with a Vortec with a hydraulic roller cam but for new, I'm thinking what I gave you is about the cheapest way to do it with a new engine.

An L31 crate motor isn't a bad way to go either but it really needs a cam change and you have other things you have to buy with it bringing up to close to what is in that link.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You might talk to him to see if you can go with a Vortec with a hydraulic roller cam but for new, I'm thinking what I gave you is about the cheapest way to do it with a new engine.

An L31 crate motor isn't a bad way to go either but it really needs a cam change and you have other things you have to buy with it bringing up to close to what is in that link.
Thanks for the advice. Appreciated.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If a Vortec is just out of the budget, this is a nice engine and is very popular:
Many of your 305 parts will be able to be used and would bolt right up.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If a Vortec is just out of the budget, this is a nice engine and is very popular:
Many of your 305 parts will be able to be used and would bolt right up.
Thanks, that looks good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put this 350 in mine... there is a machine shop in Killeen that did all of my work.. runs fantastic

21 - 36 of 36 Posts