El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Weiand Power Plus, double plane intake and an Edlebrock four chamber carb. I have never had either before, and my gas milage is somewhere between terrible and atrocious. I would much prefer an Edlebrock intake and a Rochester (q-jet) carb. If not a q-jet, then a Holley 4-bbl.

Would a swap make a difference keeping the 700r4 and rear ratios the same???

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the Edelbrock Performer intake with a Rochester q-jet carb, and with the 200-4r and a 2.56 rear, was getting low 20's. Everything else stock '87. My guess would be that if it can't be tuned anymore than it is, go with your plan B.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i had 342 s in my 86 and got 23.6 mpg the last road trip with a q jet. you cant beat thier fuel milage.the edlebrock will never give you good milage.i have about 7 core q jets if you want to rebuild one let me know

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
changeing the carb wont effect anything but your milage.almost all of the early 700 equipted cars with a carb had q jets

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Beepster, if you want to get great mileage stay far away from the Holley carbs. I love them because they really make power and great throttle response. However, even with careful tuning and mods they love gasoline.The Q-jet would probably be the best setup for performance and economy.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Holley 650 with Performer intake on my '56 (5-spd O/D, 3.36), and it gets about 20-21 on hwy, and 15 in town. Beats the Elky hands down. I happen to prefer the Q-jet, but I'm also thinking of a TPI system. That would increase the mpg even better. Anyone have a suggestion on a reasonably priced, complete with wiring harness and chip TPI system??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts