El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day that instead of a glove compartment light, my Elky only has an ash tray light. Since I don't smoke, and don't plan on starting to, I have no use for my ash tray except as a sort of storage or garbage. I was wondering if it was possible to make a light for the glove compartment, or switch the light from the ash tray to the glove compartment? Any ideas?

·
Registered
636 Posts
82Ellie said:
I was wondering if it was possible to make a light for the glove compartment, or switch the light from the ash tray to the glove compartment?
I don't see any reason why doin' that wouldn't be as straight forward as it sounds!

·
Banned
881 Posts
The ash tray light is part of the dash lighting circut and will only come on when you turn on your parking lights or headlights. The glove box light is fed from the courtesy light fuse which is hot all of the time. There is a small actuator switch in the glove box that turns the light on when you open the glove box door.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
636 Posts
87ElCamino said:
The ash tray light is part of the dash lighting circut and will only come on when you turn on your parking lights or headlights. The glove box light is fed from the courtesy light fuse which is hot all of the time. There is a small actuator switch in the glove box that turns the light on when you open the glove box door.

:mrgreen:
Good point on the circuitry...but an easy fix. And with the inclusion of an actuator switch from dang near anything, problem solved. :mrgreen:

·
1,867 Posts
Yea, Alot of different cars have that kind of switch. You can pick up power from the cigarette lighter(orange wire).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts