El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I changed the intake (Eiand) and carb (Edelbrock) for a Performer RPM and a Mountain Man Q-Jet. Now, when I start out (cold/hot, makes no difference) there is a kick in the azz when going from first to second. The other shifts seem to be about the same. Is there an easy way to correct this, like adjusting the TV cable that will make the shifting more "pleasurable"? I really don't like my head hitting the head rest when it shifts.:???:

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
With the installation of the new carb, did you infact adjust the TV cable properly?

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Oh, also, can I assume you no longer are computer controlled, and if not, what did you do to the 700 to correct the issue for fourth gear?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jim and Spencer: I haven't readjusted the TV cable, and I will do so. I'm not too sure exactly where the "D" is on the piece that fits into the bracket, but I will work on that. What CFM the carb is, I don't know. I got it from Mountain Man, and he didn't furnish any specs on it. I'll send email to find out, as I think that's something I really should know. AND, yes the engine/everything is no longer computer controlled. This was done before I bought the cruck. It goes into 4th with no problem at about 35-45 mph - closer to 45.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I believe the cable should have 1/8 inch slack at WOT that's about where mine was before I took everything apart but your local tyranny shop should tell you Do you think your getting better performance and mpg I'm in the middle of an Intake swap and have a elderbrock 600 it runs great just not the best mpg and I wanna make it a,daily driver

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
it sounds like the tv is way out.you need to adjust it correctly then address any shift issues. it is very easy to soften the 1/2 shift .but you always adjust the tv first. there is no telling how the trans is set up over the net .but you dont back the cable off just to soften a shift unless it is adjusted wrong in the first place. arbitarily backing off the cable will change your shift pressures and can cause the trans to fail. adjust it and if still too firm into second gear you can change the 1/2 accumulator spring or servo assembly,hit up tranny mike .

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,672 Posts
Make sure you have the right plate and/bracket for the new carb in the real world of 700R4's one does not fit all and if your geometry is off you can case the right shift adjustment all over the place. I have seen many 700's change there 1 2 shift just in R and Ring the carb and intake to the same one. Oh ya if you drive it very much you will take out the clutch pack in quick order.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, right now, I'm trying more to solve my Q-Jet choke problem (CCC is helping me with there, also). Now, the bracket for the throttle/TV cable is in about the same position as it was with the other intake/carb. I've copied the proceedure to adjust, and I just want to get it adjusted somewhat for short duration, then to tranny shop. At that time, I want them to verify if I have a lock-out or not. If not, install one. I do need to get this done fairly soon, as I will be driving it to a gathering in Belton very shortly, and I don't want to run it a distance without it being correct. I just want to adjust it myself until I get the work done for accuracy, and that includes the pressure readings.

Thanks for the help, and I would appreciate any further help.:beer:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike, it's called a temporary brain fart. Yes, I meant lock-up. Now, I would certainly welcome you to come check out my tranny fur me!!!:nanawrench: AND, as you can imagine, I'm just kiddin' ya, althought the thought is real!! Just a fur piece ta travel, in either direction. I've made a few of those trips thru/from Calif in my time. Southern and Northern to Texas. T'ain't no fun!!!:inlove:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing I found out this morning. The adjustment is by screwing a sleeve into/out of the bracket holding the cable assy and the accelerator cable. I made a minor adjustment to loosen the cable, but didn't have time to take the car out for a test drive. I've got too many personal things going on at this time to do everything I need to do. Wife has cancer, and that's being treated, so that comes first.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Adjustment to any GM TV cable for a 700-R4 is with a button that is pressed, and a slider that is notched it's full length.

Your cable may have a set screw type retainer end on the cable; if everything worked before, leave that alone and adjust it the button way.

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Adjustment to any GM TV cable for a 700-R4 is with a button that is pressed, and a slider that is notched it's full length.

Your cable may have a set screw type retainer end on the cable; if everything worked before, leave that alone and adjust it the button way.
I agree, IF it did work at one time with the set screw in the position it's been in, stick with the cable adjuster. :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JM, copied the info from Carr's site. What appears to be a bracket for just the TV cable is not what I have. The bracket also includes the accerelerator cable. I have NO idea if this bracket is original to this car or not, but I know the engine is not. Now the intake and carb have been replaced. The carb is a M4MC converted to a M4ME by Mountain Man. The cables for the TV and Accelerator were just transferred to the Q-jet. I will, in all probability, have to take it to a tranny shop, as I don't have the time to mess with it for any length of time right now with wife in hospital, and will be for at least another week. I did try it after coming back from the hospital this morning, and there's no change. I don't see anything that even looks like a "D" to lock/unlock the slider, as the acc cable sits right on top of the TV cable. From the looks of the pic, the lock/unlock is on top of the cable, and other pics I've seen have been on the side. Well, I don't reckon it makes much difference where it really is, it's still got to be used to make the adjustment.

I'm not driving it much, as I don't want to destroy it, and I'm using the wife's car to go back and forth to the hospital (MUCH better gas milage). As I progress on this, I'll post what I find/do. Thanks for the help!!:beer:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
And here I'm going to jump in with a contrarian view.

I have a T bucket friend who has had a 700r4 in his car for a long time. He adjusts the TV cable by pulling it out 1/4 inch with the engine at idle. He locks it there, so that there is always some pressure at on the valve. Then he checks that the carb can go to full throttle without hitting the end of the travel of the cable. He's driven it thousands of miles like that, and has never had any problems. Of course, he DOES check it on a regular basis to be sure the cable hasn't developed any slack.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Stopping by a tranny shop is a good idea as long as its safe to drive your car without damaging the tranny. The tranny shop guy may be able to just walk out & do it real quick for a few bucks cash.

Good luck with everything else that is going on.

~JM~

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took a quick look and found this out: There is no lock/unlock on the TV cable. The cable is threaded with a loop at one end (like in one of the pics) to attach to the carb. The bracket had to be bent to make it fit on the q-jet, where it fit fine and square on the Edelbrock. It was bent just enough to get it to sit on the carb bolt. There is an adjustment on the bracket, and that appears to either allow the bracket to be moved forward/aft to wherever it needs to be. Is there a different bracket for a q-jet? The throttle cable sits on top of the TV cable in the same bracket. The TV cable will extend to WOT. There is a piece on the q-jet that comes down at WOT, and I'm making sure it doesn't interfere with the adjustment screw on the bracket. Should I not do that? Now, all this took about 1/2 hour, as that's all the time I had to mess with it today. Hospital needs come first, and I'm headed back there now.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, today, with son's help, took the throttle/TV bracket off. The throttle cable assy sits on top of the TV bracket with two nuts fitting against the TV cable clip. Took ALL this apart, and guess what I found?? It was the lock/unlock for the TV cable. It wouldn't unlock because the nuts from the throttle assy was against the unlock, and it couldn't move upward. Sooo, I bent the back of the mounting bracket for both so that it would slide slightly forward. I unlocked the cable assy, and moved it forward to relieve the tension on the cable, and to allow WOT. It took a while, but put it all back together, and took a test drive. It shifted like it should from 1/2 and2/3. Now, I feel safe in taking it to a tranny shop to have any final adjustments made, to include pressure readings. I really didn't know what I was looking for, and the nuts on the throttle hold down bracket kept the unlock from working. Now, at least, when I take it to a shop, I can tell them what I found to help them make the proper adjustments.

Thanks for the assistance to a tranny newbie!!!:smileyb:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts