El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to change the color of the interior paint that is on the metal section? I don't know what the name of this section is, but it is all the metal that is where the glove compartment is, the steering column, etc. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
If you're having the vehicle painted then pull out the dash stuff that is in the way clean the surface really well and prep and paint it at the same time. Otherwise just do that section. That is what GM used, just Automotive grade paint. I used dyes on the stuff that required dying and a rattle can on some of the face plastic. I haven't done the 72 yet so I haven't had any metal surfaces on the dash to deal with yet.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
I recently changed the entire interior color scheme of my "83 from a hideous pale green ("faun" I think they called it) to a deep blue. I repainted the entire dash, door panels, and all the plastic trim pieces around the windows and doors with a flexible vinyl dye. It also worked well on the steering shroud pieces. It is manufactured by SEM, costs around $3.00 per 12 oz. spray can, and is sold at most auto paint suppliers. They have a wide range of colors and they match very closely to the original Chevy/El Camino shades.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts