El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Now i do not know how to change the rear end fluid other than poping the cap off. My other question is how big of a priority is changing the fluid? Is it one of those things where as long as the fluid is topped off its good, otlr is it like engine oil where it needs to be changed?

And what happens if a person never changes the fluid?

Brandon

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if its an open rear end 100,000 miles .if its a limited slip every year with the additive as well. you dont want to ignore it. it is your indicator of things going south in the diff

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I think most rears never get an oil change. Unless they leak, they shouldn't need to be topped off. If you want to change it, remove the cover slowly by loosening the bolts until it starts dripping and let it drain until it stops then pull the cover off. Use a new gasket or sealer being careful not to get any inside. Should be a plug on the side of the rear. A 3/8 extension should fit if you don't have a square socket.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
the additives that GM adds for its posi units does wear out over time. To drain, remove the rear cover. might give you piece of mind to change it. Look for a lot of metal shavings/flakes in the fluid (a few is normal), or a distinct burnt smell. Use something to get the last of the fluid out of the bottom of the center section (wear a rubber glove and use your hand). A new gasket, fresh lube, and you're good to go.

Oh yeah, if you have a posi, go to a chev dealer and get another bottle of posi lube and add that before you fill it back up.

:poke:

·
2,566 Posts
You might want to try opening the fill plug first. If you can't open it at least you'll still have the fluid inside while you think of a plan of attack.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh im pretty sure i got the open. Maybe lsd? Most likley open. With 82,000 miles

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
at its age and milage change it on gp then you will know if its open or ls and what gear you actually have

·
2,566 Posts
Brandon
I didn't mean you shouldn't change it. I'm just saying most people don't. People that care about their cars will. Some people rarely if ever change engine oil, some never change trans fluid, Rears they probably don't even know about. How about transfer cases and front rears? Probably not many. They would probably even think a mechanic was trying to rip them off if he suggested some it.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the limited slip diff. unit sheds metal in its operation which is normal so they require more service to keep metal debris from getting where it shouldnt. all factory ls diffs will have a magnet epoxied to the inside of the diff cover to catch such metal and require anual service the open doesnt need such frequent service so you need to know which you have to determine which service intervul you need to follow. look on your glove box lable for g80 the code for ls

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,775 Posts
I say change it & You will know what gears & unit you have in there !!
It's 28 year old fluid !!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
When in doubt, change it.

Might want to change trans fluid and filter also.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay, thanks guys. Dad said there are some rear ends that have plugs on the bottom for draining. do these have 'em? Dad didnt see one.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if its really fine stuff just clean it out that is assuming its a ls. if its an open you need to look for the source as an open doesnt shed any metal in normal operation. if its chunks investigate its sourse

1 - 16 of 16 Posts