El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
No need to "modify" but the member has to be moved rearward 6". In my case, a 68 elco that originally had a PG, the holes needed to move the member where it had to be were already in the frame rails. Out put shaft splines are the same on both the PG and the 200R4 and I used my original driveshaft since both transmission are the same overall length. Since the e-brake cable equalizer is attached to the crossmember, moving the crossmember back will alter the rear brake cable length and it will need to be shortened.

·
Registered
24 Posts
200R4 is a direct bolt in for the power glide with the only change occurring to the moving back of the crossmember as I stated above. The 200R4 works off of a TV cable only unless you go with a lock-up type converter which will use some simple electronics. 200R4 requires no vacuum or electronics to operate. Going to almost any other trans would require a driveshaft change or modification. With my power glide, 275hp 327 (original) and 3:36 gears, I was turning 3000 rpm at 60 mph. With the 200R4 and no other changes (non-lock-up converter) I now turn 1900 rpm at 60 mph. Lock-up converter is worth about 200 or so rpm further reduction I am told.

·
Super Moderator
6,033 Posts
Like the 700r4, the 2004r works with TV Cable.
Unless you pay for a lot of modifications to have it not be needed.

Both will need electronics of some type if your torque convertor has a torque converter clutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts